Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

No IE onboard Windows 7 in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2009, 03:42 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No IE onboard Windows 7 in Europe

BBC NEWS | Technology | No IE onboard Windows 7 in Europe

Ignoranuses caused this. Apple are smiling today, i bet.

Discuss.
Old 12 June 2009, 03:49 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

What I've yet to figure out is, if you've just received your brand new Windows 7 PC with no browser, how do you get on the internet to download a browser?
Old 12 June 2009, 03:53 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

...and why aren't Apple hounded for including Safari with their operating systems?

I know that historically speaking, MS haven't always been the cleanest player on the field, but this Euorpean witch hunt is getting beyound a joke.

I'd guess that IE will be offered as a download option within the OS itself (i.e. no browser required).
Old 12 June 2009, 03:54 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

interesting point. i wonder if, during the installation, it asks whether you want an internet browser or not.... or whether it gives you 'popular' choices.

Maybe it's always there, but you have to go to Control Panel>Programs and features>Windows applications and tick it.

Last edited by ChefDude; 12 June 2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12 June 2009, 05:11 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Thanks just F'ing crazy. I've been running Windows 7 RC1 (and the beta) since the day MS released it. I'm so impressed that for the first time ever I'll go out and buy an operating system (rather than just have whatever the PC came installed with).
Old 13 June 2009, 12:22 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

"In early 2008, Microsoft was fined 899m euros (£765m) by the European Commission for anti-competitive behaviour over bundling in the media player and browser into Windows.

In January 2009, Brussels reached a "preliminary view" that Microsoft was denting the chance for true competition by bundling its browser software in with its operating system. "
What a crock of crap!
Old 15 June 2009, 11:33 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

brussels are a bunch of *******, this is a prime example of why we should leave the eu!
Old 15 June 2009, 01:03 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

< Takes off Fanboy hat >

In XP/Vista, is it actually possible to completely remove IE7/8 from the machine? What detriment to the system will be seen if it is removed. I know that the windows update website doesn't, or at least didn't when I last visited it, play nice, thus requiring you to use IE to download updates. However, I'm fully aware that you don't need to go to the site to do this, the windows update utility does allow you to view, download and install updates, though I'm not sure if that only applies to high priority updates, thus the optional ones are not installed.

My understanding of the situation is that IE is very tightly integrated into the current operating systems, and thus removing it could cause problems (hence my initial question) and thus wasn't a real option until a new OS release.

Safari isn't tied into the OS, thus that's probably one reason that Apple hasn't been hounded about this. You can go into the apps folder and delete Safari and it won't stop the computer from working.

It is a very good point about how to get an browser onto a machine with no internet connection, and probably no other network connectivity. Perhaps IE will be included on the install disk as an additional option, so you'd pop the disk in and install it, job done.
Old 15 June 2009, 01:15 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

I don't think IE is tied into the OS these days. If you delete Explorer.exe (the file manager), the OS simply writes a new one

IE is a separate installation and quite lumpy too, so probably too much for the OS to just squirt out a new IE8, as it were.

Shortly after I installed Vista, I installed Chrome and it asked "Chrome is not your default browser, do you want it to be?". I said Yes.

I've not seen IE since. In fact, I have to dig in the start menu to find IE.
Old 15 June 2009, 01:55 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
However, I'm fully aware that you don't need to go to the site to do this, the windows update utility does allow you to view, download and install updates, though I'm not sure if that only applies to high priority updates, thus the optional ones are not installed.
Windows update gives you access to all of the optional updates (as well updates for MS office etc). No need for a web browser at all.

My understanding of the situation is that IE is very tightly integrated into the current operating systems, and thus removing it could cause problems (hence my initial question) and thus wasn't a real option until a new OS release.
Not true any more. IE7/8 use a lot of the windows features, but windows does not use IE.

Safari isn't tied into the OS, thus that's probably one reason that Apple hasn't been hounded about this. You can go into the apps folder and delete Safari and it won't stop the computer from working.
Nor is IE. You can delete it quite happily (at least from a user perspective).

It is a very good point about how to get an browser onto a machine with no internet connection, and probably no other network connectivity.
Not having IE installed does not stop network access. The two things are not related in any way (except that IE uses network access of course).

Perhaps IE will be included on the install disk as an additional option, so you'd pop the disk in and install it, job done.
Possibly, although that could also be seen as anti-competitive. I suspect more likely is they'll provide a download icon on the desktop so that you have to actively go and get it if you want it.
Old 15 June 2009, 02:29 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Iain,
Thanks for the reply. For a change I wasn't being Mac Fanboy I think in the past IE had been a rather core component of the OS, and that is probably where all this anti-competitive stuff has come from. This seems not to be the case these days, so that you for clarifying that.

My comment about no internet connection and no network connectivity could have been better worded. In fact no internet connection should have really been "no browser" as in a catch 22 situation, you need a browser to get a browser - ignoring the fact there could be a "download browser" application on the desktop.

The point about no other network connectivity was from the viewpoint that it's a home user, with a single computer, thus they don't have another machine they can connect to and copy over, for example, Firefox. Yes, they may have an internet connection, but how do they get a browser onto the machine?
Old 15 June 2009, 04:05 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Thanks for the reply. For a change I wasn't being Mac Fanboy
A fanboy? surely not you Markus

The point about no other network connectivity was from the viewpoint that it's a home user, with a single computer, thus they don't have another machine they can connect to and copy over, for example, Firefox. Yes, they may have an internet connection, but how do they get a browser onto the machine?
All very true, and just shows how silly the EU is being over this. I know you can install browsers (Firefox etc) from magazine coverdisks etc, but generally speaking you do need a browser to get a browser.