Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

I hate Lightbox

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2009, 11:49 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default I hate Lightbox

I'm sure that'll get some debate going

Anyway; is there a way of veiwing images conventionally in a fresh window rather than being forced to use lightbox on lightbox orientated website?

OK, question over, now for the moan as to why ( ):

I just hate the lag there is between clicking everything going black, a box appearing with the JS circle thingy, then it smoothly (yet slowely) expanding to the image size before finally showing me the picture.

Whilst 4 seconds of my life being lost isn't the end of the world, its highly annoying, especially if its a gallery of many pictures and it does this on every single image.

Broadband has spoilt me; where the average "conventional" image opening within the same second of clicking on the thumbnail. The lag with lightbox showing me the images is just a pure unnessercery annoyance (imo).

So a way round it would be handy.

Blocking/bypassing might be handy in future too, as some websites are now using it for pop-up adverts

Last edited by ALi-B; 12 June 2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12 June 2009, 12:10 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mouse over the image, right click and select "Open image in new xxxxx" xxxx being either window or tab. Or use the "Open link in new xxxxx" option. Don't use the "View Image" option as that will display the thumbnailed version, whereas the other commands will show you the linked file, ie; the full-sized one.

As for blocking lightbox, typically urls for lightbox images will have the following within the tag:

Code:
rel="Lightbox...
So if you have some adblocker then I think you can add code for it not to display, so you could add rel="Lightbox to that. Note that I have NOT put " after the word lightbox, this is because there may be following information, for example a fuller tag might be:

Code:
rel="Lightbox[imagesetname]"
This allows the image set feature of lightbox to be used, thus when you do click on one image that is attached, there are "next" and "previous" (where applicable) buttons to allow you to move between the pictures, something I've to be tweaked on here (vb 3.8.2 and possibly 3.8.1 does have this facility but SN doesn't possibly it's not on 3.8.1 or later) as it would mean you don't have to close the image and open the next one, you could just click next.

Hope that helps.
Old 12 June 2009, 12:13 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use lightbox on my site but a FF middle click is set to open in new tab (as above) and that does the trick
Old 29 June 2009, 07:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Sorry, I forgot about this thread.

Anyhoo, Cheers. I will give ita try next time I'm confronted with a website riddled with lightbox galleries.