Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M3 - test drive - didn't like it

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2001, 07:01 AM
Shaker
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I thought Id write in with the results of my M3 test drive, seeing as its on the agenda right now. Normally I hate BMW’s. I hate BMW drivers, and the idea of driving one normally has me getting into my 94 Impreza Turbo to go and hunt down 318 driving scum just for a larf. But everyone reckons that its the dog’s, so I went to Sytner in Leicester last time I was back, to try one out.

Well it took ages to get a test drive – typical yuppy scum at the dealer wouldn’t believe me at first until I told them I worked in IT and had loads of tax free disposable income. Only when I told them that I was interested in the new Impreza STI as well did they let me have a go. First impresions are that the car is really boring looking – the usual fat-cat, lardy-arsed BMW with comfy seats. And apart from the tarty chrome wheels (and lowered springs), front panel, mirrors, four exhaust pipes (I reckon they’re just there for show) and M badging everywhere, it looks just like a 318is. And the interior is just like a tarted up 316. Grrr, its already making me angry! Bloody BMWs, what are they like eh!!!

Fact: the M3 is totally number in the steering. Even throwing it as hard as I could round the roundabouts near the M1, it’s got no feel. Not like my Turbo. The motor is OK but sounds like a farty old 318 (there’s that number again – god I hate the sound of it!!) until you wind it right out. It was a bit rough near the red line, but the car was almost stone cold (before anyone complains about thrashing a test car – listen I don’t care I’m a CUSTOMER and I’m always right, he heh). And the gearshift was really clunky. Nice switches on the dashboard and stuff, but who buys a performance car to get fancy electronics? I know – bloody BMW drivers!! Got they’re such PANSIES.

The only thing I’ll say it its pretty quick, but for nearly 40 grand it should be. An STI or a Skylne would flatten it. In fact an Skyline will flatten it so badly it’ll bump it off the road, pull over, get out and thump the BMW in the face just for being such a boring car. Which gives me a few ideas – I think I’ll go BMW-driver hunting (I’m 6 foot 7 and 16 stone, so I shouldnt have any problems –heh heh).

Oh by the way my names Ian and I’m in IT contractor from the Midlands. Nice to meet you all, although steer well clear of me if you drive a BMW, if you know what I mean!!!!!
Old 14 May 2001, 08:13 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Way to go to make a big first impression there Shaker

I found myself strangely disliking you after the second paragraph.

I've never driven the new M3, but do work here and know what effort goes into these cars. I'm the first to admit they're characterless, but they're not a crap performance car. An STI or stock skyline would not 'flatten' an M3 - they may well beat it, but it'd be close.

fun per pound, the STi would win hands down granted, but the M3 is an excellent car and deserves a little respect.

We all complain about BMW drivers, but you sound no better than them!
Old 14 May 2001, 01:29 PM
Kundra
Scooby Newbie

Angry

Shaker,

I think your evaluation of the new M3 is a bit wrong. I have just sold my P1 plastic car because I have ordered the M3. The BM is streets ahead in terms of refinement and quality, we all know that Impreza's are quick, but the quality is pants!! and if all BMW's are driven by tossers why did you go and test drive one!!

Have fun in your 94 spec turbo
Old 14 May 2001, 01:35 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ian,

Any time you fancy going BMW driver hunting, give me a call. Be more than willing to put you straight on your views of BMW drivers and the "crap" that they drive.

As for being a Pansie? Well, just ask the Nurburgring lot whether BMW's or their drivers are Pansies! The response would hopefully put you in your place.

Matt

PS, I might be 3 inches shorter than you, but I'm a stone heavier. Still, muscle does weigh more than fat! LOL
Old 14 May 2001, 02:00 PM
Tyson
Scooby Regular

Cool

I was "undertaken" by a Skyline today on the A3 (it was joining the 3 lane road from slip road, whilst I was in middle lane), it accelerated to at least 130mph in just a few seconds (sounded great though!!!). Might be fast, but a real license buster in the wrong hands - so tossers drive all sorts of cars

As for BMW, I usually find the dealers are the tossers, but the cars are quite good - well refined, handle well and M3 likely to take on the best in class, at a very reasonable price.

However, at present I like the rawer feel (and sound), and well sorted P1 which I drive every day for fun
Old 14 May 2001, 02:13 PM
Tyson
Scooby Regular

Cool

Kundra

Before you get too excited about quality etc, in my experience I have had ZERO problems with Japanese cars (MR2 for 8 years with 108,000 miles, and now P1 for 7 months with 11,000 miles). However, my first ownership experience with BMW has been a whole list of problems with mine bought in 1999 (all fixed on warranty fortunately) - but that runs out soon!

Fit and finish is good, but there are lots of things that can and do go wrong!

P.S. I'm lighter and smaller than you guys, but its all about speed and reactions
Old 14 May 2001, 02:17 PM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Matt the Ring-Taxi Pansie

LOL
Old 14 May 2001, 02:43 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL @ Rich
Old 14 May 2001, 06:06 PM
Kundra
Scooby Newbie

Tyson,

Horses for courses mate! I will not buy another Japanese car again. We all know they are reliable.

It all comes back to personal choice and I became fed up with the poor quality of the P1 and the flaking paint on the front bumper which was replaced under warranty, but it shouldn't happen on a £31K car which was 7 months old.
Old 14 May 2001, 06:57 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Shaker

Hoping that your first post might be your last on this BBS. Shouldnt you be reading Max Power and not this BBS ?

There are a number of people on the BBS that drive BMW, but also Scoobies. There are also ones that are enjoying their BMW's after a spell of Scooby ownership, but continue to contribute to this BBS as its a friendly community.

If your going to post at least be factual. Yes a lot would agree that BMW dealers leave a lot to be desired, but given the attitude of your posting, the salesguy was astutue enough to realise you were a timewaster. Dont really think you did have a drive and opened it up as the M3 on full throttle sounds superb, and nearly as good as a Scooby with a SS. Did he kiss your feet when you told him you were in IT ?. You must know how to pull the chicks

The rest of your crap isnt worth responding to. My other theory is your Lewis on a windup

Jonathan
Old 14 May 2001, 08:19 PM
Denz
Scooby Regular

Shaker

What a load of bollards.

How did you red line a car that dont let you get near the red line, until its at operating tempreture. You have to warm it up first, it limits the revs until warm.

some people talk such Cr@p!!!

The M3 is an awsome performer, i wish my scoob could get near one!!

And that sound is amazing, it goes straight through you!! It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up when i first heard it.

thanks

Denz

MY00 with FULL decatted Scooby sports zorst, so i know what sound is!!

Old 14 May 2001, 08:40 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Cool

owned a my00, still have a my95, getting a 330ci soon to compliment it.
seems not ALL to55ers drive bmw's
nice one chins
Old 14 May 2001, 10:17 PM
Davvers
Scooby Regular

Cool

whilst expressing his opinion in an extreme way Shaker is right, the helm is numb on the M3. You need feel to have the confidence to know what the car is doing to push things - I felt the M3 would not allow me to do this, it is however a fantastic sounding car with an engine to die for. Horses for courses - but to brand someone a W4Nk3r for the type of car they drive is frankly ridiculous - you should hear what other people call us Scooby drivers :-))
Old 14 May 2001, 10:22 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Talking

...and apart from the spoiler, the wheels, the scoop, the seats and the colour coding, my Impreza Turbo looks just like a GL (no offence, GL owners )

...and if you think the back of an M3 looks like the back of a 318, then might I suggest a visit to an optician?

MartinM
MY00 Impreza Turbo and MY00 328SE
Old 14 May 2001, 11:32 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Smile

Martin,
You have too much money

Mark
MY00 Turbo & green push bike
Old 14 May 2001, 11:36 PM
PaulFisher
Scooby Regular

Impressive first post shaker. I hope you're wearing Nomex triple-layer Y fronts.

I think you need to go visit the ring, or go to a few track days with a few well driven old M3 evo's to see what's what... let alone the new M3.

Paul F.
Old 15 May 2001, 09:29 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Mark_S

Damn - rumbled, whilst trying for dramatic impact The first is the wife's, the second is the co. car. I don't actually own a car at all
Old 21 May 2001, 02:22 AM
Shaker
Scooby Newbie

Hey!!! Why is everyone defending BMW’s all of a sudden? I thought loads of people on this board hated BMW’s and thought their owners couldn’t drive and that BMW’s were for pansies anyway!!

Anyway I did test drive an M3 and it just felt waaay to heavy. It didn’t feel like 343 bhp to me. I mean with electric seats and electric pretty much everything else! Much too fat-cat. THATS why I don’t think it’s a performance car.

OK I did have some fun with my height I’m sorry. I’m some way short of 6’7" or whatever it was, but I am close to 16 stones. Hardened muscle or just fat and overweight? You decide, MattOz.
Old 21 May 2001, 05:20 AM
Mark Pattison
Scooby Regular

Come on lads, 1st post and he spouts out with all that. Gotta be a windup.

Mind you I don't much like BMW drivers round this neck of the woods either, but not all of them are idiots just the majority

So Shaker, does ya think you are a good driver or what? ever been round a track?
Old 21 May 2001, 02:08 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Shaker:
<B>Hey!!! Why is everyone defending BMW’s all of a sudden? I thought loads of people on this board hated BMW’s and thought their owners couldn’t drive and that BMW’s were for pansies anyway!!

Anyway I did test drive an M3 and it just felt waaay to heavy. It didn’t feel like 343 bhp to me. I mean with electric seats and electric pretty much everything else! Much too fat-cat. THATS why I don’t think it’s a performance car.

OK I did have some fun with my height I’m sorry. I’m some way short of 6’7" or whatever it was, but I am close to 16 stones. Hardened muscle or just fat and overweight? You decide, MattOz.[/quote]

Most of us aren't so blinkered as to assume we can tell someone's driving style from the car they drive

I think will find that 'most' people would kill to get into some BMWs (E30 M3/M3 GTR/Williams BMW anyone ) I think you will also find that BMW are regarded as about THE leader in engine design and manufacturer, whether on road or on track. Where they lead, others follow

I think you will also find that 'most' people don't think their driving ability suddenly deteriorates when they get in a BMW, nor that they turn into pansies - certainly hasn't affected Juan Pablo-Montoya, Ralf Schumacher, Steve Soper, Jo Winklehock,....... or me when I went from a scoob to a 330d

And finally I think you will find that any half talented driver that has driven the M3 DOES think it is a Performance Car Perhaps it was missing the DTM exhaust and Max Power stickers for you to think it was

I doesn't rival the Scoob for VFM (except the P1 WR), and would come a soggy second on a wet twisty road, but unless you need your performance car idiot proof, it is virtually unrivaled

....Or perhaps the suspicion is correct that you are merely a wind-up merchant
Old 21 May 2001, 08:07 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Cem,

I suspect you'll be seeing a lot of this guy.

Shaker,

Re: "Nice to meet you all, although steer well clear of me if you drive a BMW, if you know what I mean!!!!!".

Vice Versa, I'm sure.

Moray
(All round even tempered mr nice guy, which is good because I'm bigger than you and I have a bmw e30 m3. (insert deadpan smiley) )

Old 23 May 2001, 01:33 AM
karljon
Scooby Newbie

Shaker

As someone who has owned an Impreza a BMW 323Ci and now an S3 I think you just better apologise and then do one. BMW make great cars I am afraid its the 318 posse that give BMW driversa bad name like you give scooby drivers a bad name. Why do I think that your Impreza is a white 94 plate with 100k on it. Was your last car a Saxo or a Nova.

I was in my bosses Carrera 4 the other day and that has electric everything, I suppose that makes it a people carrier and not a performance car.
Old 23 May 2001, 01:34 AM
karljon
Scooby Newbie

Shaker

As someone who has owned an Impreza a BMW 323Ci and now an S3 I think you just better apologise and then do one. BMW make great cars I am afraid its the 318 posse that give BMW driversa bad name like you give scooby drivers a bad name. Why do I think that your Impreza is a white 94 plate with 100k on it. Was your last car a Saxo or a Nova.

I was in my bosses Carrera 4 the other day and that has electric everything, I suppose that makes it a people carrier and not a performance car.