Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

i.p blockers

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2009, 08:34 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i.p blockers

which is the best easiest to use and free etc?

lee
Old 01 June 2009, 08:49 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't know which is best, but I use Peer Guardian.
Old 01 June 2009, 08:52 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Don't your router do it?
Old 01 June 2009, 10:24 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

or just manipulate you PC's routing rules to route unwanted IP,s to a null address

I route pretty much the whole of China's IP ranges to the technological equivalent of a dustbin
Old 01 June 2009, 11:45 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

What exactly are you wanting to do? Are you wanting to prevent certain IP addresses accessing your machine, or are you wanting to prevent your IP address from being seen?

If it's the former then your firewall should allow you to block all incoming traffic from a list of addresses.

If it is the latter, then you essentially want to hide/stealth your IP address, so perhaps an anonymous proxy server may be of use. You could probably set one up yourself, but there are various ones out there, including web based ones, but those usually require you to disable Javascripts which can render some sites useless.
Old 01 June 2009, 12:21 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
or just manipulate you PC's routing rules to route unwanted IP,s to a null address

I route pretty much the whole of China's IP ranges to the technological equivalent of a dustbin
Hodgy, is that done to remove the CPU burden from firewalls, instead of blocking the traffic, it routes it to a black hole so to speak?

I know network people on overclockers use this method but I was never 100% sure why
Old 01 June 2009, 01:52 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

yes basicly i want to surf and download without my ip address being logged everywere

Trending Topics

Old 01 June 2009, 02:26 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by apples24
yes basicly i want to surf and download without my ip address being logged everywere
Here is a google search to get you started.

A few words of caution however. Not that I overly trust proper (ie, non web based) free proxies, but I'd probably favor them over web based ones. Also, if you have to enter ANY sensitive details, for example login information, be aware that it could well be recorded and used by someone else. For god's sake don't use an annon proxy and login to your bank account. Maybe I'm overly paranoid here but I see no reason to do that anonymously.

Some sites may also prevent you from logging in if you're using a proxy server.

One other major important point. If you are wishing to do this to bypass site blocking rules in effect at your place of work, then I strongly suggest you do NOT do this. The sites are probably being blocked for a very good reason. If you need to visit a site to actually perform your job then I would first talk to your immediate manager and state you cannot perform your job as the site is being blocked. Your manager will either go to the IT department and speak to them, or tell you to do it, asking them to unblock the site for you so you can do your job. If they refuse then obviously go back to your manager.
If your job does not depend on visiting the blocked site, but you wish to access it during lunch or before/after work hours, again, ask your manager about it first, see what they thing, then if they think it's ok, go to IT and see what they say. If they say no, well, I'd leave it at that.

The bottom line here is, if the site is blocked, you do NOT want to try and work around the block as you will probably fall foul of the IT policy at your workplace and you could well find yourself facing disciplinary action, and what that entails depends on the rules laid down, it could be anything from a verbal warning to being dismissed.
Old 01 June 2009, 09:29 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1210
Hodgy, is that done to remove the CPU burden from firewalls, instead of blocking the traffic, it routes it to a black hole so to speak?

I know network people on overclockers use this method but I was never 100% sure why
mmm not sure how it would affect CPU usage tbh, it still has to run the routing logic on the packets so it will use CPU cycles -- but I think negligible

its a very simple but effective method, it just leveredges the basic concepts of routing protocols -- the hacker will just never see the packets return to him,

as you say just like light from a black hole, nothing can escape
Old 07 June 2009, 12:54 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

well i just downloaded and installed that peer guardian thingy

then went to google and looked up for my i.p address and it found it straight away lol

dont think that works then
Old 07 June 2009, 02:04 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Peer guardian is for Peer to Peer pikey software, blocks a list of known IP addresses from accessing your machine. Stopping the whole world from gaining your IP address will require a bit more work. See Markus's post.
Old 07 June 2009, 09:54 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

The simplest thing you could do is..

Anonymouse.org

Not a permanent measure though as it will soon **** you off.
Old 08 June 2009, 11:31 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by apples24
I use a proxy service hosted in the US to get around restrictions Amazon place on people buying electronic books for the Kindle which I got as a present from my sister who lives in the US.

I VPN in to their proxy and go out using a US IP address they assign me. It works a treat. Also, the traffic from my PC to the US is heavily encrypted.

I can log on to Amazon and it thinks I am US based.

If you want you could use this to hide your true IP address.