Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows Home Server - DIY build

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2009, 10:27 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows Home Server - DIY build

Anyone done a DIY build of WHS? I was hoping to buy one of the newer HP Mediasmart server, but they STILL haven't been released in the UK, so I'm tempted to download the trial of WHS from Micro$oft and try a DIY build. Any comments, thoughts, ideas?????

Don't bother suggesting a *NIX type server! I just want something simple that can automate the backups of my 2 PC's and the wife's laptop and do media streaming etc to the XBOX360 in the lounge without farting around with lots of disparate addons, hacks, tweaks and downloads. I work on PC problems all day at work, I want a fire and forget solution for home.
Old 29 April 2009, 07:49 AM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

Well I didn't build my WHS but it's not an off the shelf WHS either.

It's a standard small form factor HP desktop which only takes 2 hard drives but at the minute I've got a 1Tb and a 1.5Tb disk in there which seems OK.

I use it for streaming to the Xbox 360's, backing up 3 machines and a central storage area for videos/music.

The initial install of WHS is pretty simple.
Old 29 April 2009, 06:27 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

dabs.com - NetGear ReadyNas Duo (2 Bay) - No Drives Included (RND2000-100UKS)

Old 29 April 2009, 07:14 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

According to ebuyer the 1Tb ReadyNas above is £519!!!
Old 30 April 2009, 06:03 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the feedback guys, I've decided to try the DIY route, I've got an HP E-PC 42 which I can stick the WHS trial on. It runs for 4 months, so that gives me 3 months to make my mind up.
Old 06 May 2009, 11:17 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Hah, stick it on an old HPE-PC 42! 1st attempt, failed HDD on power-up. 2nd attempt, only cd drive fitted, had to fart around swapping it with the dvd drive from an old laptop as it's a slimline drive. 3rd attempt, not enough RAM, 4th attempt, disk failed format, twice. 5th attempt, hooray!
Old 07 May 2009, 12:30 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Not trying to sound a ****, but considering you wanted a no "farting" around solution, why not just go for a NAS Server/DLVA, as I said?

I.E. RAID management tools, intelligent backup, PHP, MySQL, and SQLite web and database server, encrypted remote replication, enterprise standard RAID 5, built-in DDNS, SSH remote login, iTunes server, network broadcast via UPnP/ DLNA, BitTorrent download station, etc

Your way makes no sense to me? am I missing something?

Running it on that power enterprise Joule warrior, would negate any savings on a decent little NAS box.
Old 07 May 2009, 07:57 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

The ReadyNAS is a good little bit of kit - there are other RAID 1 network drives out there which will suit your needs.

The duo (without disk) can be found for £170 here

RND2000-100UKS Netgear READYNAS DUO 2-BAY DISKLESS . IN

I personally have opted for a home server, but you need to gauge it on requirements.

http://www.lanse.co.uk/forum/index.p....msg66473.html

Good luck

Last edited by BlkKnight; 07 May 2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08 May 2009, 03:00 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Not trying to sound a ****, but considering you wanted a no "farting" around solution, why not just go for a NAS Server/DLVA, as I said?

I.E. RAID management tools, intelligent backup, PHP, MySQL, and SQLite web and database server, encrypted remote replication, enterprise standard RAID 5, built-in DDNS, SSH remote login, iTunes server, network broadcast via UPnP/ DLNA, BitTorrent download station, etc

Your way makes no sense to me? am I missing something?

Running it on that power enterprise Joule warrior, would negate any savings on a decent little NAS box.
Originally Posted by BlkKnight
What exactly are you trying to achieve?

The ReadyNAS is a good little bit of kit - there are other RAID 1 network drives out there which will suit your needs.

The duo (without disk) can be found for £170 here

RND2000-100UKS Netgear READYNAS DUO 2-BAY DISKLESS . IN

I personally have opted for a home server, but you need to gauge it on requirements.

The Perc 6/i Raid 5 "budget" project.

Good luck
What I'm trying to achieve is a simple to manage, fire and forget solution. I have no need for PHP, MySQL, and SQLite web and database server, encrypted remote replication, enterprise standard RAID 5, built-in DDNS, SSH remote login, iTunes server, BitTorrent download station. Admittedly the farting around with the hardware was a pain, but I want to try a bog standard WHS system without buying anything, before I make my mind up and spend £££ on either a decent 1TB+ NAS, an off the peg WHS, or DIY Freenas/WHS. I've built a Freenas box a few months ago, which was OK, but needed a lot of fettling to get automated backups running reliably. One of the main considerations is that it must be wife proof, and the automated backups in WHS seem to be just that. One of my colleagues has bought a Netgear box, so I'm going to have a look at that as well.
Old 08 May 2009, 03:20 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Given that you have reasonable technical skills.

Based on what you've said (reluctance to part with cash) I'd be inclined to use a shed of a machine (with a new disk), wack XP Pro on it. Set up simple file sharing.

Write a backup script to backup important areas during login - I use robocopy (free on dl from M$) at work. Much better that xcopy (IE It works)

If you pick your CPU carefully, you can make an almost silent rig pretty cheaply.
Old 09 May 2009, 11:57 AM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

I'm not reluctant to part with cash, however before I do, I want to see what my options are, hence the "easy" (!) WHS homebuild.

My choices boil down to the Netgear NAS, one of these, Tranquil PC Limited SQA-5H HOME SERVER

Or one of these, Buy an HP MediaSmart Server EX487 (FL701AA#ABA) from HP® Official Store

A couple of people I know have the previous versions of the HP boxes and they are great bits of kit, but HP still haven't launched the in the UK, and queries to HP get no response, even via a couple of contacts I have through my work.
Old 09 May 2009, 12:40 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Yes I've used installed WMS on a few machines now all HP servers ML's 3 series and 1 series. I work for a HP resellers so HP hardware is never a problem !
Honest opinion of WMS, - its simply a collection of software that is available else where, it does make it easy, and its nicely integrated, but like most windows OS's the individual program that pay extra for are generally better.
For my limited needs, video steaming, backup, file storage, the standard XP pro does it all + acronis for images of pc's, and synctoy to copy files to the backup pc.
And all of this on a fairly low spec dual core pc with 1.5TB storage and 2G of memory.
Richard