Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Router keeps dropping conection to the internet. Suggestions as to cause?

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2009, 04:32 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Router keeps dropping conection to the internet. Suggestions as to cause?

Hi all,

Some advice would be very much appreciated as I'm completely rubbish at sorting out connection issues.

Basically, I have a Vista Latop with a dual core 2 chip and whatever "wireless thingie" (told you I was bad ) intel use with that chip, connected to a Vigor 2800g wireless router plugged into a BT landline. Up till a few days ago, loosing connection was a rare event, but the router seems to be losing connection to the net very frequently now. Its not the signal, as I still have local access and the signal strength is described as "excellent". If I turn the router on and off, the connection is re-established, only to drop again, some 10-20 mins later. No obvious problems with the router going by the diagnostics.

It worked fine up till a few days ago and I've not knowingly changed anything! Windows fire wall is disabled to prevent conflicts between it and the ESNET security suite I run (always been that way). There are no obvious conflicts of software problems, and the ISP seems to report all good! Virus scan indicates no viruses or malware, network secured with WPA 2 encryption, no obvious signs of suspicious activity.

Could this be a dodgy silent update to Vista? How should I go about resolving this: system restore to about a week ago maybe?

Ta for any advice.

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 04 March 2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04 March 2009, 07:05 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Do'nt know if its a coincidence, but i have exactly the same problem as you, i'm running windows vista, and my router started messing around about a month ago, with all the same symptoms you listed!
Old 06 March 2009, 11:25 AM
New_scooby_04

Anyone have any ideas?

Ns04
Old 06 March 2009, 11:33 AM
Semper
Scooby Regular

ESNET? Mean ESET? Version 4 of ESET is absolute rubbish. I've just disabled the firewall on it. Some serious bugs apparently. Interactive mode not showing new rules, Automatic not working as intended. Hope they fix it soon!
Old 06 March 2009, 07:04 PM
New_scooby_04

Nice info mate. Thanks very much. Have looked at the Router's web interface, but it was all a bit technical for me Will have another lok with respect to your advice.

I don't think it's the security suite as a) I't never caused a prob before b) I did a system restore that didn't work.

Oddly enough it was behaving earlier, so maybe it is a SNR issue.

Ns04
Old 06 March 2009, 07:14 PM
Semper
Scooby Regular

Try disabling ESET's firewall temporarily. Right click system tray icon, it's in there. See what happens. (enable Windows Firewall too). Never know...lots of reported problems in last few days with ESET.
Old 06 March 2009, 07:52 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure you have the latest firmware update for the Router.

It's probably something on your line causing the issue, if it has been fine up until now though. Line noise will cause the net connection to drop out. Do a BT linecheck.