Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Safari 4 beta

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2009, 08:11 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safari 4 beta

I have just downloaded it and yes its nice and the new features are cool - coverflow browsing, thumbnail favorites etc...but be warned. there are problems. People have been saying on mac rumors forum that it crashes, and won't open, some say their mac keeps restarting and hotmail don't work.
So I have uninstalled it and got back to version 3.
Old 26 February 2009, 10:21 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I've been using it for a while now and love it. I do have it combined with The WebKit Open Source Project daily release which may explain why I've had no trouble.
Old 26 February 2009, 11:17 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

I quite like it, really like the top sites feature but it would be great to have that feature using bookmarks folders and live views of the pages, I could have a page open monitoring websites to check they are running.

There is a series of commands you can run to put the tabs back down below the bookmarks and to switch back on the blue progress bar...
Old 26 February 2009, 11:20 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Been running it for a day now and thank god I found out how to place the tabs at the bottom. Apart from that, looks pretty good for a beta
Old 26 February 2009, 12:35 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

For those looking to tweak some of the settings, have a look here for an addition that adds a handy menu to Safari to do this.

I've not downloaded the beta as yet and I'm deliberating wether to or not. Mainly it's because I'm a lazy bugger
Old 26 February 2009, 11:38 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Been running it for just over 24 hours now without a single crash (Leopard 10.5.6/MacBook Pro).

Initial feedback is good, I actually like the new tabs placement, although it did take some getting used to at first, to me it makes more sense.

I'm not happy that Sogudi won't work yet, it's pretty much my favourite timesaver in any app and I'm lost without it. The sooner the Sogudi team get it working the better!

I've not had any major problems, and it seems very quick. I fear this may be just a front though as it appears to load the page before displaying it, which gives the impression of a super quick render.

The only issue I see so far that switching tabs via the cmd/shift cursor key doesn't always work first time and some pages stay held on a white page before actually loading/rendering. The BBC sport page is specifically bad for that.

Looking forward to getting the final version.
Old 27 February 2009, 02:49 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I read here that Sogudi is no longer being developed.
Old 28 February 2009, 03:58 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I read here that Sogudi is no longer being developed.
I know, I looked at their site earlier today and was confronted with that sad news.

Thankfully, I can at least fall back on Safari Stand. Although it's a more bulky app and has wasteful features I'll never use it at least caters for my need to rapidly search using the address bar. I've had it running for about 12 hours now on Safari 4 and all seems well.

Fingers crossed it will still work (and continue to be developed) for many years to come.