Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Whistler Beta 1/laptops/RealPort Combo cards anyone ?

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2001, 09:52 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys,

Long shot on this one, I know, but you never know...

Anyone running Whistler Beta 1 on a laptop ? I'm trying to run it on a Dell Latitude CPi and it runs fine. Great product and with Clear Type switched on is a real dream to use.

Only problem I'm finding is that using powersaving. As soon as I let it power down the monitor (well TFT screen) it is OK, but wake it up and all comes back fine for about 3 seonds and throws a BSOD.

The dump (and Microsoft agree) says that the problem was caused by the network card (RealPort Combo Card) taking the system down.

Now I've used this hardware setup for donkeys, running NT 4 (server and workstation), Win2K (all flavours) and even Linux (didn't like it, too much like work) and never had a problem with it.

Now, I've wiped the laptop and done a clean build of Whistler (Professional) Beta 1 and the same problem occurs. MS say it is deffo. the network card as this throws an unhandled exception that takes the Beta (which doesn't have all the protection in yet) down big style. They say that because it is a hardware problem it should always take the system down as it occurs in Ring 0, or so they say. But as it doesn't affect any other OS, I'm going for the "You have missed something in the Beta". It is important (to me anyway) that MS fix this one as many of my collegues have this hardware setup and will no doubt want Whistler on release.

Anybody had problems with laptop cards and displays causing problems due to power saving settings ? I've had a quick dig around the 'net and obviously through MSDN etc. but no joy.

Cheers

Ian
Old 06 February 2001, 10:15 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ian ive icq'd a friend might be able to help might not.

Si
Old 06 February 2001, 10:43 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that Si,

Ian