Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help - sky broadbad wireless connection - advice required

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2008, 10:27 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - sky broadbad wireless connection - advice required

Hi, anyone here using sky broadband and using the supplied router to connect to two seperate computers within the same household ?? use the router with the supplied cable just now to my desktop pc but want to hook up to my laptop via wireless, I take it this is actually possible ie sharing the signal from te router with both the ethernet ?? cable ( yellow cable supplied with sky router ) and wireless ??

anyone here doing such a thing with there sky broadband ?? if so please do let me know as need to pick your brains further on just how I configure the laptop to receive the signal from the router, have the little card with the ssid / network key / channel etc but bit stuck from there !!!

please someone help me out ??!!
Old 26 December 2008, 10:36 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Totally do-able, I have a HTPC in my man-room on wireless via a wireless print server, an "office" PC in the office on wireless, and a laptop for "her indoors" in the living room.

ARE YOU ON VISTA or XP as this is crucial !

You should have got a card with SKY 12345 and ABCDEFGH on it !

To enter details you need to enter network section and enter these details as SSID and password. I assume you have wireless encryption selected to stop the neighbours pirating your connection.

I'm no expert, so hopefully an IT bod will appear soon !

HTH

dunx

Last edited by dunx; 26 December 2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 26 December 2008, 10:38 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

i would also try this site for advice Sky User - Help and Support for Sky and Sky Broadband
Old 26 December 2008, 11:38 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Totally do-able, I have a HTPC in my man-room on wireless via a wireless print server, an "office" PC in the office on wireless, and a laptop for "her indoors" in the living room.

ARE YOU ON VISTA or XP as this is crucial !

You should have got a card with SKY 12345 and ABCDEFGH on it !

To enter details you need to enter network section and enter these details as SSID and password. I assume you have wireless encryption selected to stop the neighbours pirating your connection.

I'm no expert, so hopefully an IT bod will appear soon !

HTH

dunx
Hi guys and thanks for your quick replies, okay yep using vista here, wi-fi is turned on,

okay not sure if i am doing this correct ?? but i have went into control panel - network and internet - connect to the internet- how do you want to connect ?? choose wireless and then choose set up a connection or network- then choose connect to the internt -manualy connect to a wireless network.

asks for ??

1/ network name
2/security type
3/encryption type
4/security key / passphrase

H-E-L-P !!!!!!!!

have the little card with the ssid / network key and channel info on it but not sure if this is what I have to enter into the boxes above ?? also you mention securing the network, one step at a time I know !! but how exactly do I do this ??

will probably give sky a bell tomorrow and get them to go over it with me but if I coudl manage to get it done here then that would be great !!
Old 27 December 2008, 06:44 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

It should be quite easy to do.

When you have started the laptop, click on the 2 monitors icon in the notifification bar(bottom right hand side next to the clock). Then click connect to a network. A list of all the available networks will appear in a box. Now if you look on the side of your router or on the card supplied you will see the name of your SSID, which will be SKY*****. On your laptop select the same from the available network list and click the connect button, a dialogue box will appear asking for your code which is the other code on the side of the router. Enter the code and that should do it.

Your Sky router is pre-set and you should only need to enter the 2 codes off the side of the router

Good luck

Last edited by MMT WRX; 27 December 2008 at 06:46 AM.
Old 27 December 2008, 10:41 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay mate thanks for the info, think I am getting somewhere now ?? but in saying that still having a few probs !! okay done what you said -entered the details and also ticked the box underneath that said " display characters " then went to the twin computer symbol at the bottom off the screen and clicked on it, I then had a screen showing connected " sky22438 " with a full signal which is mine - yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

connected up and had the internet, well say I had it, had two shortcuts on the main screen - ebay and sky, pressed sky and got the " page could not display " message also tried it with the ebay link but same again, this tme I manually typed in Google and got it so finally got connected to the net . or so I thought !!!

a few seconds later I was disconnected, for some reason the connection seems to be constantly dropping in and out, am now getting the message that there is no networks within range . occasionally get a very weak netgear " found which I take it is a near neighbour.

the main router is only within the next room to the laptop so its not exactly at the other end off the mansion !!!!

where do I go now ???!!!!
Old 27 December 2008, 06:45 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Its my dad thats on Sky and to be honest it was pain for ages until we reset it - a little button you press with a pen - and its been fine ever since. For some reason tho' when we reset the router the default ssid code changed. It was sky 8***01 and changed to sky 8***03. His was struggling to get online, dropping when it did, couldn't see other laptops etc but after the reset its been 100%.
Old 27 December 2008, 08:23 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay just phoned sky tech dept and all up and running now, seems a few off my settings were wrong and the reason for the signal dropping in / ot was more than likely the channel number choosen.

appreciatte all the help guys- got there in the end !!

hanks again