Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

backup exec

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2008, 03:07 PM
Stefanie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default backup exec

Anyone use backup exec? I've just installed a trial version and installed remote agents on other servers but i'm getting access is denied when trying to browse through the remote server folders. This happens no matter which logon profile is used. I've set all the services to log on as local system, or can all but the remote agent service be under a user name?

It says trial versions include remote agents and i've done remote/local install for 2003/2008. Any other suggestions where I may have missed?
Old 05 December 2008, 10:32 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

The service can run as local system account that's usual. The problem you are having is the account that has the permissions to connect to each server.

Generally Backup accounts hold high level permissions. The Backup Operator group will be a local admin and if you are running a domain, it will be a Domain Admin.

I've not got it in front of me but I will have on Monday so let me know if you get stuck and need help.

I've used BE for years so know it very well. Did you download 12.5 or 12?

Darren
Old 06 December 2008, 06:06 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

We have a separate domain account which we run the service under, and that account is in an AD group which has admin rights on all our servers.
Old 06 December 2008, 06:20 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunky
We have a separate domain account which we run the service under, and that account is in an AD group which has admin rights on all our servers.

Ditto. This one is set as the default BE account as well.
Old 06 December 2008, 06:31 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

ours is the same with the exception of the account that backs up our exchange server.
Old 08 December 2008, 01:09 PM
Stefanie

I'm using 12.5

On the BE server all services are under domain\user name apart from 'Backup exec remote agent for windows systems' is Local Service

On remote servers there is just one service, 'Backup exec remote agent for windows systems' is Local Service

I created a new account as it asks, the name & password is of a admin account on AD
Old 08 December 2008, 01:38 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

It sounds like you are getting confused between the account the services run under and the account BE uses to connect to the servers. When BE connects to a remote server it uses a Network Logon account.

After you installed BE did it run the setup wizard that asks you to create the Media Sets, Select Media Device and also Logons?

If it did not, go to Help and then select Getting Started and it will run the wizard.

The Remote Agent Service on the remote server can run as any account it likes, all of ours run under the Local System.

The logon account (that you create in the wizard above) is the account that is used to connect to all the servers, this is why the Logon account holds such a high level of admin permissions.

If you were not running a domain you could add a local Admin account for each server into the BackupExec Network Logons and then when you build your selection list you could select the local account for that server. This means that each server would be connecting using a different username.

Does that make sense?

The same goes for a server that might be sitting outside your domain but still on your LAN and could be seen by the BE server. We have a couple of servers that are on our LAN but BT refuse for them to be bound to our domain so I considering using the method above to back them up, I deceided on a different way in the end but it's an option.

Are you seeing any errors?

Darren

Last edited by darlodge; 08 December 2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08 December 2008, 04:17 PM
Stefanie

how weird is that. Uninstalled the BE prog, left the remote agents on the other servers, reinstalled the main prog and it works, did absolutely nothing different
Old 08 December 2008, 04:31 PM
Stefanie

interesting that though, i've logged in as administrator and the services are still running under my profile. All of these should be local system? They shouldn't be under my profile as it'll fail when i change my password. Can i just change all these to local system?
Old 08 December 2008, 08:21 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Can't think exactly where, but in BE there's either a wizard or something under the tools menu It allows you to change the account. I can't access SN from work, so I can't look it up and post it
Old 08 December 2008, 08:23 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunky
Can't think exactly where, but in BE there's either a wizard or something under the tools menu It allows you to change the account. I can't access SN from work, so I can't look it up and post it
Check my above post
After you installed BE did it run the setup wizard that asks you to create the Media Sets, Select Media Device and also Logons?

If it did not, go to Help and then select Getting Started and it will run the wizard.
Old 08 December 2008, 09:24 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darlodge
Check my above post
Alright, no one likes a smartar$e