Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Can you share Outlook folders?

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2002, 02:24 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Question

I have a exec with a secretary who has a PDA.

At the moment the exec syncs his PDA on to his computer, then passes it to his secretary to sync on her PC. It is sync'ing into Outlook - contacts & calendar.

Is there a way for say the secretary to hold the master outlook install and the exec to have a shared copy, so when he opens his outlook prog it is actually opening the outlook folders on the secretaries PC. This means only the secretary has to sync, and their respective databases wouldnt get out of sync!

I presume you wouldnt get any folder conflicts - i.e you cannot open this folder - already in use.

Thanks in Advance

N.B This is not an exchange server site - we use Lotus Notes as our corporate mail client.
Old 23 May 2002, 02:28 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N.B This is not an exchange server site - we use Lotus Notes as our corporate mail client.
there inlies you problem.. I have also tried this and failed. All options lead to you requiring an Exchange server that I found. Sorry. (altough I'll keep an eye on this thread )
Old 23 May 2002, 02:32 PM
Chris J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Not sure about lotus notes, but using openmail against outlook it was possible to set up delegate access to a users folder/mailbox. To do this it was nesacary (sp) to give permissions to the delegate account for each folder etc on the master account. once that was done it was possible to open the folder from the master account usinf the delegates profile.

So in this case, the boss would keep his own account, and the secratary would be given delgate access to the boss's stuff. Then either the boss or the sec could sync to the PDA.

Does that make any sense?

I assume this was the same as with exchange but the openmail drivers sorting it out for the openmail server.

Chris

PS Just read the first reply, so looks like what I have said is irelevant anyway

[Edited by Chris J - 5/23/2002 2:33:13 PM]

[Edited by Chris J - 5/23/2002 2:36:53 PM]
Old 23 May 2002, 02:34 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These may help

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm

Stefan
Old 23 May 2002, 06:17 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
****....so basically it can't be done!

The link was v useful Ozzy, but it basically reaffirmed that you can't easily share folders without resorting to web based information sharing.

The mad thing is that it is a piece of **** to share all of this stuff in Lotus Notes by using delegation, you just add the extra persons name to your delegation list and they're in!

I will maybe have to use Intellisync to sync their Notes calendar and contacts onto the PDA and go the Notes route. (I've heard a rumour that if you sysnc using intellisync you can pick up the data from Notes on one PC and whack it into Outlook on a different PC)

Anybody know if you need anything spesh for Pocket PC2002 on the Notes front?