Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Dumb q, but can vista be turning into XP

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2008, 12:05 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb q, but can vista be turning into XP

Or not as dumb as it sounds

I know MS offered the opportunity to new pc's bought with Vista the change toXP via a ser key change.

For some reason I bought Vista about 18 months ago, but prefer xp. This box isn't used as I use Mac, but there is a prog I want to run that is windows only (and windows aint going near my macs). Infact this box (self build) hasn't been switched on since I bought my macs!!!
Old 05 November 2008, 12:20 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

you cannot just switch vista into xp mode via a parameter change - they have 2 wildy differing kernals, let alone anything else.

what you can do is set an application to run in 'XP SP2 emulation mode" - you might have to get jiggy to get it installed in order to right-click-set-xp-emulation.

it might help if you say what the prog is?
Old 05 November 2008, 12:53 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Aint bought it yet, and I doubt 99% of anyone here will have heard of it. Its called Archers advantage.

Don't really wanna buy xp having wasted money on Vista.
Old 05 November 2008, 01:32 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

http://www.bowcast.com/component/opt...7/func,fb_pdf/

will work with vista

and from another source

"OEM installs of Vista all seem to have this so-called "downgrade" ability, where you
can activate XP Pro or XP Tablet with the Vista key. You do apparently have to phone
the activation line to do it though, and sometimes they need to give you a new key for
this purpose.

Apparently a lot of OEMs are using this to satisfy people who buy a Vista-equipped
machine but want (or need, for IT compliance etc) XP instead. They are forced to go to
the phone center, which is not ideal. Apparently there isn't much of an alternative,
and the OEMs are annoyed. Annoyed with Microsoft licensing policies, whoda thunk?

For retail installs, I also think it has to be a full version, my upgrade Business
doesn't have it, or at least it's not in the license."

Think the only way is to buy an XP OEM if you dont like it that much ?

You might be able to seel the vista licence to someone else who is willing to explain an hardware change to allow it to activate on a new PC?
Old 05 November 2008, 01:59 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Could always get VMWare fusion or parallels and install a small virtual machine on your mac, and run XP in it ? just for that one app. I do this for MS money lol
Old 05 November 2008, 02:52 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ian Cook
Could always get VMWare fusion or parallels and install a small virtual machine on your mac, and run XP in it ? just for that one app. I do this for MS money lol
I'd echo what Ian is saying, makes more sense to use a VM solution on the Mac, providing it is intel based of course. Also have a look at Codeweavers Crossover product, as it might support the app you want to run, this uses WINE to run windows apps on OS X, and I think it's overhead could be less than a true VM solution, plus you would not need to actually install XP to get it to work, whereas you would have to do this with a VM solution.
Old 05 November 2008, 04:49 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

but doesnt using those products still mean buying either an xp or a vista licence? Which is what I thought the OP was about? ie downgrading a vista licence to XP ?

Or do they get round the licencing ? -- Not sure and interested.
Old 05 November 2008, 05:34 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont think I want to downgrade to xp again thanks

Tony
Old 05 November 2008, 10:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DemonDave
but doesnt using those products still mean buying either an xp or a vista licence? Which is what I thought the OP was about? ie downgrading a vista licence to XP ?

Or do they get round the licencing ? -- Not sure and interested.
Fusion and Parallels would require you to install XP, so, yes, they'd require a valid key for this. Crossover does not require an install of XP, so no key is needed, however, it does not support every application, and it's possible what the OP wishes to run isn't on their approved list, but it might still run, only way to tell is to see if someone else is running it (via their forums) or to give it a try.
Old 05 November 2008, 10:34 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Fusion and Parallels would require you to install XP, so, yes, they'd require a valid key for this. Crossover does not require an install of XP, so no key is needed, however, it does not support every application, and it's possible what the OP wishes to run isn't on their approved list, but it might still run, only way to tell is to see if someone else is running it (via their forums) or to give it a try.
Ta for that