Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Laptop Advice

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2008, 07:18 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laptop Advice

Ok, I'm needing a new laptop.. the one I'm borrowing at the moment is on its last legs and starting to really frustrate me.

I use a computer for:

Downloading Music
Playing Music
Burning Music to CD
Playing the occasional game
Surfing the Internet
Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel etc)

I prob want to spend between 400-450 on a laptop, maybe £500 absolutely max, have seen a few on sites like ebuyer.. but is that the sort of place thats best/cheapest to buy a new laptop?? Anyone bought something similar recently and could give me a few pointers??

Would really like a decent sized and decent quality screen, lots of memory to save things, for it not to take ages to load internet pages or youtube videos, not break or irritate me etc...... I'd maybe even watch dvd's on a laptop if the sound/screen was decent quality enough too.

Just thought I'd ask for some advice from the computer-type people on here.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 29 October 2008, 07:19 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Dell do a new range of studio laptops that are supposed to be very good, a lot of kit for not a lot of money and dell seem to have good after care.

The Vostro ones from Dell are great buys at the min, their are some great reputable sellers on ebay that sell them.

Here is an example, this comes direct from Dell factory outlet, they say these machines have small scratches to the plastic but most of the time you can`t even see them, its just Dell cant sell them direct like that so you get a great bargain, that one is a nice spec machine.

DELL PC Laptop LCD Vostro 1710 Scratched 2B3XV3J on eBay, also, Laptops, Computing (end time 01-Nov-08 14:45:00 GMT)

Last edited by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby; 29 October 2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 29 October 2008, 07:39 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I like the Toshiba A300D, few in the range but you'll get 3gig ram and 250 gig disk for 500, 2 ram and 160 disk for <400, both dual core 15" machines.
Old 29 October 2008, 08:16 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll check it out.. have seen this and it looks reasonable spec for the money.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 29 October 2008, 08:49 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

be careful buying from ebuyer, if anything goes wrong you'll end up dealing with there customer support, who to be honest are a bunch of clowns and you'll end up spending a fortune in 087 numbers. Had a problem with them in August and spent £37 on calls to them! They maybe cheap but there useless at customer support.

Oh! I have a business account so probably get better support than joe public!
Old 29 October 2008, 09:30 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I'm using an HP at the moment and it's a solid workhorse machine, no gimmicks just a good tool. If that's what you're looking for, HP will usually fit the bill.
Old 29 October 2008, 10:33 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

My on site IT support is an IBM employee and he recommended Dell!

He also said spend as much as you can to make it future proof i.e. big, fast processor and memory.

Steve
Old 30 October 2008, 05:27 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll check it out.. have seen this and it looks reasonable spec for the money.

Cheers,
Grant
I don't know exactly what models were affected, BUT i had shed loads of problems with the wireless card in my DV6285 model, when its working it's great, but it's been back to HP once already for repairs, and i'm expecting it to have to go back again soon, google DV6000 problem and you should be able to find thousands of unhappy customers all over the world! Be very cautious about buying a HP laptop, it's a known problem the world over.

Here take a look at this
Having Problems with your HP Pavilion dv6000, dv9000 or Presario v6000 series Notebook? Matt's Blog