Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

MacOS Server DropBox

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2008, 12:30 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MacOS Server DropBox

I am having a problem with dropboxes on my Tiger 10.4.11 XServ. I need to make a dropbox on the server that students can write too but certain staff can read and write.

The permissions need to be set via Active Directory security groups, for example domain\students write access domain\staff read and write access.

The Mac Server has been joined to Active Directory and connected to the Kerberos Realm

So far I have enabled SMB on the server and made a sharepoint. The dropbox would be one folder below as a student could not mount the sharepoint if it was write only. I have tried by using basic permissions and ACL's on the MacServ but for some reason it says the student has read and write when it actually has read......but the permissions are set to write only

Windows users would also need access to it....just to throw another spanner into the works but this can be accessed via UNC path on a windows machine. I'll put my hands up and say I haven't checked permissions on the PC side yet, thought Mac side it would be easy enough but proving to be an ****. I checked inheritance etc on the ACL's.Collegue of mine tried setting up the share on a Server 2003 box to no avail, the Mac users could read files when they were not supposed to

To summarise. Dropbox needs to accessed via students (write) and staff (read and write) on Mac and PC.

Has anyone done anything like this before? I'm thinking maybe alternatives would be an FTP site or web front end
Old 15 October 2008, 04:46 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume the share is to be mounted via SMB and not AFP? In which case, have a look at the protocol options for the share, specifically those relating to SMB, I recall there might be an option there in regards to wether it inherits permissions from the parent, or uses permissions you then define.