Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Password Security- How Do You Manage Your Passwords

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2008, 12:04 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Password Security- How Do You Manage Your Passwords

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...-safety-ov.htm

It’s easy enough to create and remember one or two log-in passwords. But these days you need to remember a growing list of user names, PINs, passwords, and other security codes for your computer, Internet bank account, cell-phone voice mail, ATMs, favorite shopping Web sites, and even for this Web site.

Complicating matters, experts on computer security recommend that you come up with complex codes for everything you need to access. That frustrates hackers but also makes it nearly impossible for you to keep track of the alphabetic, numeric, and symbolic jumble.

Even if you do come up with passwords that are easy to remember but tough to crack, new security measures may consign your creations to the digital dustbin every 60 or 90 days. And since we’ve been warned to never, ever write down this gobbledygook, the only safe option seems to be committing it to memory.
Old 14 October 2008, 12:27 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

passwordsafe
Old 14 October 2008, 12:52 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

I use KeePass which seems tidy KeePass Password Safe
Old 14 October 2008, 01:00 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Just use ther same password of "1234" for everything. That makes it nice and easy to remember

Personally, I just remember them. Most websites have password reminders etc if I forget...
Old 14 October 2008, 04:12 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike1210
I use KeePass which seems tidy KeePass Password Safe
Eggs...Basket...
Old 14 October 2008, 04:35 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I have everything in my head and it works for me, not forgot anything yet. Lost my bank card last week, I was in an emergency for cash so withdrew some on a credit card which Ive not used in over a year, bingo, took me all of 10 seconds to think and confirm my pin number
Old 14 October 2008, 04:53 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
Eggs...Basket...
A fair point, I can usually remember my passwords but I've forgoten some over the years hence resorting to kee Pass, I backup the folder every week and like to think it would be very tricky to compromise
Old 14 October 2008, 05:14 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

I have 3 different passwords I have been using since the late nineties , So if I forget one I know its one of the other 2
Old 14 October 2008, 05:31 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

I have about siz different ones, with usernames that are the same and some slightly different, all in my head, lol. But on my vista pc it has password manager so its much easier, for example i have four email accounts with hotmail and with password manager i can save the details of all four and name them with a nickname should i ever forget, and it all logs it in for me, plus lists all four accounts on the main page and i just basically click one and it logs in.

plus if i need to run a popup or an application or install something, before it proceeds it will stop and ask me wether ive authorised it (incase someones hacking into it and normally i wouldnt know about it) so i can then continue. Dont know if this is for all vista users or just my pc i dunno!
Old 14 October 2008, 11:35 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ash002004
I have about siz different ones, with usernames that are the same and some slightly different, all in my head, lol. But on my vista pc it has password manager so its much easier, for example i have four email accounts with hotmail and with password manager i can save the details of all four and name them with a nickname should i ever forget, and it all logs it in for me, plus lists all four accounts on the main page and i just basically click one and it logs in.

plus if i need to run a popup or an application or install something, before it proceeds it will stop and ask me wether ive authorised it (incase someones hacking into it and normally i wouldnt know about it) so i can then continue. Dont know if this is for all vista users or just my pc i dunno!
Its UAC ... gets very annoying
Old 15 October 2008, 05:42 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

ahh...yes sometimes very annoying but has saved my bacon a few times when my minds gone blank
Old 15 October 2008, 06:03 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Easy, I simply have a word doc with everything in it, and just use Cryptext to encrypt the file, 160bit encryption so if you happen to have access to Deep Blue and several thousand years spare, then ya mite get the file open... I think thumb screws would be easier... but at least its very safe... also use it for files on my laptop i.e. MOD\Government network diagrams that are classified.

you can download cryptext freely