NS Optimum

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2000, 10:11 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

grrrrrrrrr.

Has anyone ever heard or used these people? I'm guessing not as they 'allege' to deal with computers for education and most of you peeps are corporate IT.

These guys are useless.

I've been on-site to install some software on Apple Macs, the theory being that their mac and pc's will be on the same network, and all data being stored on an NT 4.0 server which has services for macintosh running, thus that macs can access the data.

NS Optimum had been told on many, many occasions what the setup needed to be. An engineer that was there on friday was alerted to the fact that I was coming in on tuesday and wednesday and therefore needed the macs to be able to see the NT server in order to install my software.

I turn up and guess what. The NT server did not have SFM installed, thus I could not install my software on it. They had not supplied an NT server disk so we had to obtain a copy, which we could not do until the next day. Luckliy I installed our software on thier apple server and then on the client machines they had. This at least showed our software would work, but it was no use as the user accounts were on NT and we also needed to copy over the data from the Apple server to NT.

The NT disk arrived, so I installed SFM, but for some reason AppleTalk was not installed. I'm not an NT guru, so was a bit miffed about that. This was the least of my worries as we then found that the PC's were not connected to the mac network.

The reason for this post is that NS Optimum has basically screwed the site I was at. They needed to have thier machines up and running by Monday, and it ain't going to happen. We're talking about a school here, so kids education is effected, which is really bad. I feel bad as there's nothing I can do about the situation.

In my eyes NS Optimum are a bunch of cowboys, you can't get hold of anyone, and when you do, they have not got a clue as to what their engineers have actually done at the site.

grrrrrr

<B>These are my personal views and and do not reflect the views or opinions of my employer</B>