Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Which one???

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2008, 07:47 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one???

Microsoft Live onecare or Norton 360??
Old 27 September 2008, 07:56 PM
staffs Mike
Scooby Regular

Scan Computers UK: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009 (v8) UK Edition 3 User 1 Year - *OEM Edition

I've been using this for a couple of years (in it's various versions) and it's very good. Light on resources and is pretty simple to use these days too.
Old 27 September 2008, 08:06 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Neither, use NOD32
Old 27 September 2008, 09:42 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

As above, anything by ESET, the other two are garbage
Old 27 September 2008, 10:58 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Rubbish. I've been using OneCare for about 18 months now and its been perfect.

The OneCare circle part is really handy for monitoring & keeping the other PC's in top shape too, especially as the users are not very techy.
Old 30 September 2008, 12:23 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
Rubbish. I've been using OneCare for about 18 months now and its been perfect.

The OneCare circle part is really handy for monitoring & keeping the other PC's in top shape too, especially as the users are not very techy.

Rubbish??? How do you know it is keeping the PCs in top shape? what tests have you run to confirm it has been "perfect", how do you know there would be no difference to your system(s) if you didnt have OneCare installed?

OneCare, to my knowledge (and i am in a good position to comment) has never passed any active force feed virus tests and so it is an absolute pointless piece of software to have on any computer.
Old 30 September 2008, 01:49 PM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Who's dummy is this?

And yes NOD32 all the way you wont be disappointed
Old 30 September 2008, 04:08 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Rubbish??? How do you know it is keeping the PCs in top shape? what tests have you run to confirm it has been "perfect", how do you know there would be no difference to your system(s) if you didnt have OneCare installed?

OneCare, to my knowledge (and i am in a good position to comment) has never passed any active force feed virus tests and so it is an absolute pointless piece of software to have on any computer.
I know, because they ARE in top shape. It regulaly defrags and cleans up their drives, keeps them free from spyware, viruses & phishing; reminds them to backup and is totally unintrusive.

Like I said, I've used it for 18 months on these well used machines with no issues. No spyware detected with other checkers and no viruses.

I am also in a good position to comment having in the IT industry for 18 years.

It does what it says on the tin. Here's your dummy back . . .
Old 30 September 2008, 04:33 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

That's not really a valid test though is it. All that says is that the product may have large gaps in the security, but luckily you haven't been exposed to them yet

I do think it's odd that MS hasn't submitted its products to the vb100 tests etc, (it's almost as if they are trying to hide something )

Personally, I'd recommed Nod32 as well
Old 30 September 2008, 04:52 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I'm sure it isn't and I'm aware its not 100%; neither are any other products. It does enough for me and you could compare products until you're blue in the face. You pay your money, take your choice. Have we had any viruses, malware or adware? No. Job done as far as I'm concerned. That doesn't mean that we haven't just been lucky.

The OP asked which of the 2 to choose and I mentioned the one I've used myself.

Last edited by DJ Dunk; 30 September 2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 30 September 2008, 05:36 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

That doesn't mean that we haven't just been lucky.
It could do though. I can see you've never been a software tester. It does tend to taint your views of this kind of stuff

The OP asked which of the 2 to choose and I mentioned the one I've used myself.
That's fair enough, and good luck with it

No product claims to be 100% safe, but personally I'd rather use one that has had some testing rather than one that has apparently had none at all, but then that's just me...
Old 30 September 2008, 05:49 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Iain Young
It could do though. I can see you've never been a software tester. It does tend to taint your views of this kind of stuff
Actually, I have and am. I help beta test the product we write And its multiple service packs

It was a double negative, I meant I may well have just been lucky.

Originally Posted by Iain Young
No product claims to be 100% safe, but personally I'd rather use one that has had some testing rather than one that has apparently had none at all, but then that's just me...
It's a little far fetched to suggest that its had no testing at all, it fairs pretty well in recent tests, certainly no worse than many other products. Swings and roundabouts.

I liken it to choosing a car. Mine suits my needs and does what I ask of it. I don't expect it to be more fuel economic, more powerful or more reliable than any other car and wouldn't be so bold as to try and persuade others that it is, especially based mostly on the tests of others
Old 30 September 2008, 07:01 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Actually, I have and am. I help beta test the product we write And its multiple service packs
What product is this?

It's a little far fetched to suggest that its had no testing at all, it fairs pretty well in recent tests, certainly no worse than many other products. Swings and roundabouts.
What tests do you refer to?

For the record, i wasn't/am not spitting my dummy out, but to recommend a dire product, when there are free versions that excel over them
Old 30 September 2008, 07:18 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

What product is this?
I spend too much time on here, so I won't give out names. But its a respected Oil & Gas database product.

What tests do you refer to?
This was the more up to date one that I read. As it happens it faired better that NOD32 as an all-in-one product Like I said, its not 100%, the results are good enough for me.

Virus Bulletin : News - AV-Test release latest results

For the record, i wasn't/am not spitting my dummy out, but to recommend a dire product, when there are free versions that excel over them
Your claims that its 'dire' and 'garbage' are just plain childish. IMO, its a good value for money product, simple as that, and out of the 2 the OP mentioned, its my pick by a country mile.
Old 30 September 2008, 07:38 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Nod is still better than live gaycare
Old 30 September 2008, 07:47 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

PC Pro: Product Reviews: Labs: Security suites

Try this, from the beginning of the year. I personally use Kaspersky on all my PC's at home. I gave up on Norton as I had so many reliability issues over the years on my pc's and on friends and families machines.

Risking sticking my head over the parapet, OneCare was roundly slated in the IT press and online communities when it was first launched as an unreliable, resource hungry ineffectual pile of pooh. However, MS has devoted considerable resources to improving it, and it now has passed the VB100 test on Vista Business.

I personally wouldn't choose the MS product as an act of pure cynicism. If MS developed a more secure OS in the first place, would we need these products, and why use an MS product to secure another MS product? I prefer to use a 3rd party product.

Oh, and before the flaming arrows come flying, the only truly secure computing environment is the one that's switched off AND unplugged!

No AV/Security suite is 100% guaranteed effective.
Old 30 September 2008, 08:33 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by bioforger
*** is still better than live gaycare
Old 30 September 2008, 08:43 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular