Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Random crashes - dodgy memory stick?

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2008, 11:01 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Random crashes - dodgy memory stick?

When I was using my computer about 10 days ago I got a BSOD which said something about a memory fault. After that the system would not boot on this windows installation and I had to restore the system32\config\system file from the last restore point. I also had various problems with my Hauppauge twin tuner not working with both tuners, or glitching on this computer whereas it wasn't on my laptop. I removed one of the sticks of Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 and it seemed to work better for a while, but still tuner problems and random crashes. Reinstallations of Vista or XP didn't help, however, it would run Orthos CPU and memory stress tests fine.

I bought another stick of RAM, but in the end carried on using all three sticks as it seemed to work OK. Then last night whilst streaming some TV across the network it crashed and in the error log was a further BSOD with 8a or 1 stop codes. It rebooted after I left it off for a moment, but then not subsequently.

My present plan is to just to run the new stick of RAM and restore the again corrupted system file and try again.

The system was overclocked, but the CPU seems to be OK as it will still go much faster with apparent stability than I'm presently running it. The RAM was not overvolted and was not running that fast.

Does this seem like a RAM problem from the description?

Oh, I did a Windows Memory diagnostic that was normal too. This is a really annoying problem that has taken hours of fault finding or reinstallation so far... I'd love to bin the lot, but would prefer to find the faulty component.

Last edited by john banks; 23 September 2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 23 September 2008, 01:36 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crucial is usually mega reliable (imo). I would be tempted to look towards the power supply, ive had bsod on xp media centre and Iam sure it was with a 8a code (sure the microsoft site said it was hardware), and it turned out to be a failing supply

Maybe run things back at stock speeds and see what happens with it like that.

also with the reinstallation, did you install it overclocked or as standard? Only reason I ask is I have read various sites in the past saying install at standard clocks and then when installed overclock it then. Must admit I have overclocked my cpu and done an installation with no problems though
Old 23 September 2008, 03:17 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the ideas.

Power supply failures are my nightmare, just sent a monitor back after three months because its PSU was making arcing noises and then failed, and a previous desktop had a PSU failure. Also the in-law's PC just needed a new PSU as well! These failures are in three different houses, although the electrics in the old farmhouse are a bit dodgy, the lights dim when the shower is on LOL.

I can't remember if the latest installation was on stock or overclocked. When I first got all the stuff it worked for ages at whatever clocks I threw at it.

It is just a bit of a nightmare having to replace components, I was wondering about RAM or CPU, never thought about yet another PSU.
Old 23 September 2008, 05:36 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fluctuating power is not good for a PSU, maybe you should look at that first?
Old 24 September 2008, 11:00 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John,
Try something like this first (in the downloads there is a free version)
Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic
Finds pretty much any memory fault, damn good bit o kit
The other thing you want really is a UPS like this if you have dodgy power in your house Scan Computers UK: 700Va - Liebert - Powersure Personal XT UPS

Tony
Old 25 September 2008, 12:41 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Thanks all. I think it was actually XP SP3 that was doing it, even though it is not an AMD CPU (there have been reported issues with AMD and SP3 with BSODs). Vista wasn't working properly with the twin tuner, but wasn't crashing.

It gave a STOP 0x24 even with the new stick of RAM, but only after SP3, and so far has been OK on SP2.

If it keeps crashing on SP2 I'll look at the PSU.

Last edited by john banks; 25 September 2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03 May 2009, 11:52 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Things got worse after the above with random crashes and all sorts of STOP codes. I sent the RAM back to Crucial after failed Windows memory diagnostic and it fixed the problems for a few months (and I did not overclock or overvolt) until it has all started again (with further failed memory diagnostic) and I've requested a further return (yet a cheap stick of PC World RAM has been fine). I found this thread and it seems I'm not alone:

Customer Reviews Of Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

I was about to change PSU, motherboard and CPU as the computer has become useless, but that would have been costly, so I'm glad it has turned out to be the RAM again. Crucial used to be a quality product. What is a quality supplier of memory these days? I only need DDR2-800 (PC6400)?

Last edited by john banks; 03 May 2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04 May 2009, 12:17 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Surprised you've has so much trouble with Crucial sticks, they are usually very reliable and highly regarded. Probably a dodgy batch from the factory.

Others worth considering, Corsair, Kingston, OCZ.
Old 04 May 2009, 10:00 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried nudging the RAM voltage up a little?

When I built my new PC, it wouldn't boot with stock voltage, but worked fine after a little nudge.
Old 04 May 2009, 10:59 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I tried the stock SPD voltage and up to 2.0V on this set (as they are rated to 2.0V), previous set up to 2.2V as they were rated for that.
Old 04 May 2009, 11:44 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Is it possible that the voltage regulation on your motherboard is on the fritz? Just seems odd that you intially had clear memory tests, only for it to show up errors later on after some further use. Whilst I have had RAM go faulty after "burn-in", it normally rears its ugly head of BSODs and crashes within two weeks of regular use. I'm yet to have a system have RAM go faulty outside that peiord (except a shorted PSU that blew everything).

What I have done in the past when checking faulty sticks of RAM (Kingston, Corsair etc...I had a bad run of luck ), I ran the suspect RAM in a totally seperate PC (already tested with memtest86+ and confirmed fault free) running completely standard settings (not OC'd), using memtest86+ on extended mode and left overnight. In the cases of faulty chips, errors always showed up on the other computer. If they came up clear I would start looking elsewhere.

Other possibility could be temperature. My system has temperature probes dotted around everywhere. Now whilst I have no proof of excessive chipset temps being an issue, its interesting to note that even with heat spreaders on my RAM, temps can at peak up to 55 degrees C, and thats using a "blow down" horizontal fan style CPU cooler (vertical fan CPU coolers in theory, do not cool nearby chipset components, voltage regulators or RAM as effectively). Just something to keep in mind when using non-intel coolers and operating in "quiet mode".

Last edited by ALi-B; 04 May 2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04 May 2009, 11:27 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the pointers ALi-B.

The only reason I'm not particularly suspicious of the motherboard is that it seems to work OK with cheap PC world RAM that I just got to use when the Crucial stuff was RMA'd. Also one of the Crucial sticks is working great at present. And the similar stories about the same RAM on the thread I posted.

I only have one standard motherboard temperature sensor and it reads about 25-30C. I have two large case fans, and the crashes happen even when they are on full blast. The PC is in the coldest part of the house too.
Old 05 May 2009, 01:40 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

RAM can fail at anytime. I've had sticks fail after a year or two use before.