Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Advice on playing mp4 films on psp ??

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2008, 11:03 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on playing mp4 films on psp ??

Looking to put a few mpeg 4 formatt films onto my sons psp for him, have yet to order the bigger memory card required but plan to do so within the next day or so thru play.com just looking for a bit off advice on how to go about actually putting the films onto the new memory card itself ?? I have ImTOO DVD to MP4 software which I belive will put the actual films onto the memory card for me but just wonder what is required in the making off particular folders etc within the memory card itself ??

the fims I plan to put on for him are already in the mp4 formatt do I have to rename them in a special way to be recognised by the psp ??

the psp is a failrly new one ( non latest slim version ) running the standard no custom firmware I take it this is still okay in itself to play these mp4 formatt films without requiring any firmware modding ??

lastly just wonder how effective the above or similar type software is for converting say an avi formatt film into one suitable to be played on the psp ??
Old 27 May 2008, 11:22 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Go straight to part 2..

How to Rip DVD and transfer Video to PSP - IC-Games review and previews
Old 27 May 2008, 11:52 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks mate will check that out, think the thing that I am really confused about is if I have to create files / folders ie. music / video etc in a new memory card on my psp or will they be autmatically created once loaded onto psp ??
Old 28 May 2008, 12:00 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

You can create folders to separate different file types if you wish, this should explain it better..

About.com

1 Plug a USB cable into the back of the PSP and into your PC or Mac. The USB cable needs to have a Mini-B connector on one end (this plugs into the PSP), and a standard USB connector on the other (this plugs into the computer).
2 Scroll to the "Settings" icon on the home menu of your PSP.
3 Find the "USB Connection" icon in the "Settings" menu. Press the X button. Your PSP will display the words "USB Mode" and your PC or Mac will recognize it as a USB storage device.
4 There should be a folder called "MP_ROOT" on the PSP Memory Stick if you formatted it on your PSP; if not, create one.
5There should be a folder called "100MNV01" inside the "MP_ROOT" folder.
6 Drag and drop files into the folders just as you would save files in another folder on your computer. Video files go in the "100MNV01" folder.
Old 28 May 2008, 12:09 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

i.e you have to add the two folders if they are not present to your PSP Memory card
1)MP_ROOT
2)100MNV01(Inside the MP_ROOT folder)
Old 28 May 2008, 12:15 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Perfect mate again appreciatte that.

cheers
Old 28 May 2008, 08:51 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

on a later firmware versions, you can just shove them in a folder called videos and name them what ever you like.

Same with music

I use PSPvideo9 to convert MPG, AVI & MKV to the correct size for the screen
Old 28 May 2008, 08:59 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Another vote for PSPVideo9 - used in the past no probs although the coding always seems to take twice as long as what the countdown timer says - good for getting video's onto an iPod also.