Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

how to patch XP offline?

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2008, 02:24 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to patch XP offline?

how do i patch a PC without connecting to the internet? the PC can connect to the internet but via dial-up (yes, ole school. dont tell me to get broadband!).

used to be able to use AutoPatcher.com but microsoft put a stop to it. is there any other way to update patches offline, like download it and burn it on a cd and then install from it? OS is XP SP2 and Vista.
Old 28 February 2008, 04:40 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Nope, Windows Genuine Advantage put a stop to all that. You have to go on-line now, update will download the WGA tool to prove the copy of XP you're updating is legitimate. If so then it will let you download the updates.
Old 28 February 2008, 05:03 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

I'm sure if you do a search on the MS site, you can download the updates and burn them onto a disc for install on another PC later on.

I remember a bug in one particular update that stopped any others from downloading. I was able to individually download and re-install this update offline.
Old 28 February 2008, 06:33 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Isn't XP SP3 supposed to include all the updates up to when it was/is released? That would at least get you part of the way there.

It is a shame autopatcher got nixed However I thought they had a beta app that would basically download all the fixes from the MS sites, and stored them locally, so, I think, the theory goes, you could then distribute that setup to an offline machine, run the new app and it'd apply all the updates.
Old 01 March 2008, 08:06 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Autopatcher is born again.

This time it downloads all patches direct from the Microsoft website (which is what MS were complaining about - that patches were being stored elsewhere - a 'security risk' )

So, the new (beta) Autopatcher will download all updates for the products you select (Win 2000, XP Vista, Office 2002-2007 etc) and store them in a folder. Then you just take the folder and run it on whatever system you need to.
Old 01 March 2008, 08:47 PM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can slipstream all the updates & apps & what ever else you want onto cd or dvd with windows xp. Have been doing this for years

RyanVM's Windows XP Post-SP2 Update Pack
xable.net - XP Update packs, Addons and Applications