Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

is it me or are widescreen monitors crap for web browsing?

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2008, 09:12 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it me or are widescreen monitors crap for web browsing?

granted i've only had it since friday and have probably not set something up right, but i'm finding it hard going looking at sites because the text is so bloody small!

i've tried altering the text size, the zoom, dpi and resolution but it's still not great.

the plus side is it's great for pics and video, chalk and cheese to my old fosil of a monitor, but to be honest i prefered the look of web pages on my old one.

anything i can try or settings i should be looking at?

monitor is a dell 19" if that makes any difference.
ta
Old 19 February 2008, 09:18 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Assuming you are using IE7

Righ click on the menu bar and turn on the menu bar option

Go to Tools>Text Size

Chang it to, say, Medium.
Old 19 February 2008, 09:33 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Assuming you are using IE7

Righ click on the menu bar and turn on the menu bar option

Go to Tools>Text Size

Chang it to, say, Medium.
yup ie7, preset to medium.
if i change it to largest nothing happens on here, but on other sites it gets bigger but also bolder and that looks a bid weird.
guess i'll have to get some glasses

just noticed altering the text size changes the text on the info on the left (name,posts etc) but does nothing to any other text on the page

Last edited by hoskib; 19 February 2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 20 February 2008, 07:51 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Would say its something on your settings as on my 22" at 1680x1050 its fine.

Simon
Old 20 February 2008, 09:15 AM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

The fonts will only scale in IE on websites that dont use fixed pixel sizes for their fonts. If they do use fixed font sizes you're best bet it to use the zoom function is IE7. See down the bottom right of the window there's a 100% and a \/. Press the \/ and select a different zoom level if you're finding the text too small.

What monitor size did you have before and what resolution did you use?

If you dont like the look of that, try firefox (Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable) as it tends to override fixed font sizes more easily that IE.

J
Old 20 February 2008, 01:11 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

I'm using firebox v3 (currently beta) and the ability to increase the fonts has been improved greatly - it scales EVERYTHING up now - including any flash, html, etc... Works very well.
Old 20 February 2008, 06:03 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Would say its something on your settings as on my 22" at 1680x1050 its fine.

Simon
Me too, 22" Samsung 1680 x 1050 IE7 works fine as well.
Old 20 February 2008, 06:54 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by judgejules
The fonts will only scale in IE on websites that dont use fixed pixel sizes for their fonts. If they do use fixed font sizes you're best bet it to use the zoom function is IE7. See down the bottom right of the window there's a 100% and a \/. Press the \/ and select a different zoom level if you're finding the text too small.

What monitor size did you have before and what resolution did you use?

If you dont like the look of that, try firefox (Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable) as it tends to override fixed font sizes more easily that IE.

J
i think the problem is from what i've come from, it was a 17" non widescreen from the ark (no idea what resolution it was running but it wasn't that high) kind of like when you watch a normal tv then watch a widescreen, things look different and it takes a while to get used to it.

the zoom makes a big difference but i lose the last inch or so of the post writing.

hopefully with a bit of fiddling i can get a setting i'm happy with

cheers for the tips
Old 21 February 2008, 12:30 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem, got a 22" widescreen monitor for Christmas and it optimal resolution is 1680 x 1050, the first time i set it up i thought there is no way i can look at that as everything is too small, after about a week or so i got completely used to it and love it now
Old 21 February 2008, 05:52 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Too small on a 22" screen? I'd get my eyes checked if I were you, seriously!

My laptop has a 15.4" screen @ 1680x1050 and it's great. I just don't understand why people seem prepared to put up with seeing each individual pixel in all its lego-like glory - we gave up on that idea with printers years ago, so why not with screens?
Old 21 February 2008, 07:58 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Whatever
Old 21 February 2008, 08:11 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Granby
I had the same problem, got a 22" widescreen monitor for Christmas and it optimal resolution is 1680 x 1050, the first time i set it up i thought there is no way i can look at that as everything is too small, after about a week or so i got completely used to it and love it now
glad it's not just me then! do seem to be getting more used to it each day, give it a couple of weeks and i'm sure i'll have forgotten what the old monitor looked like
Old 23 February 2008, 07:54 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Looks okay on my 24" widescreen

Old 24 February 2008, 03:59 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Hold on, hold on - when you first get your widescreen monitor running, the screen resolution that appears means the text looks tiny. You DON'T have to settle for this mode.

For example, on my 22" widescreen, when it was first installed, it put itself into a ridiculous mode that made the text TINY compared to what I was used to. Something like 1680 x 1050

All I had to do was go into the control panel > display icon , then to the "settings" tab and slide the screen resolution slider to the left, and eventually I settled on 1440 x 900 mode.

When I went to scoobynet after getting the widescreen monitor, the website didn't fill my screen properly. Unknown to some, there's a very handle little button near the top of the scoobynet screen, to the right of the members figure called POSMODE. Of the 3 choices, click the far right one, which resembles an all white rectangle.
Old 24 February 2008, 04:54 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

If you're using Firefox - and if you're not, it's free, so give it a go - you can leave your monitor in its native resolution and just press CTRL + or CTRL - to adjust the text size. This gives you the sharpest image by far - your monitor always has 1680x1050 physical pixels whether you like it or not - but gives you free choice of text size to suit your preference as well.

Leaving the monitor in its native resolution also has the benefit that all the buttons, bookmarks and other clutter get smaller, so you have more of the screen available for content.
Old 26 February 2008, 10:28 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I reckon holding down CTRL whilst scrolling with the mouse wheel causes similar results that you may be experiencing?
Old 26 February 2008, 11:48 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

When I got my 22" Samsung monitor I just plugged it in, switched on, and that was it. No small text, no sh4gging about setting it up. I'm sure IE7 browser just opens the same size as it would on a 19" screen. The good thing is you can have two pages open side by side.

Is it anything to do with your graphics card and settings? I have an Nvidia 8800gt and I think this sorts it out on mine