Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sharing a printer on a pc with a Mac lap top

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2008, 09:12 PM
FX02
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sharing a printer on a pc with a Mac lap top

One of the kids has a MacBook. I have no idea as to how theses things work and until now I haven't even used one. She wants to be able to print from it, but does not want to plug it into the printer I have connected to the main PC in the house. I have another laptop which runs XP (as does the main computer), everything is wireless and runs smoothly. I can file and print share between the 2 windows machines but for some reason the MacBook won't play ball. Can someone please explain in laymans terms what it is I need to do? I only require it to access the printer, but if it can access the shared folders on the home network then that would be a bonus.
Old 13 February 2008, 01:55 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Have a read of this site. It details how to print from Mac OS X to a printer hosted on an XP computer. It also details how to access shared files from the XP computers.
Old 13 February 2008, 03:39 PM
FX02
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Have a read of this site. It details how to print from Mac OS X to a printer hosted on an XP computer. It also details how to access shared files from the XP computers.
Thanks very much

Will her MacBook be running 10.4.x It's brand new so I presume it will have whatever is the latest OS on it?
Old 13 February 2008, 04:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

If it's brand new then it'll probably be 10.5.x (Leopard). Easy way to tell, go to the Apple menu, select "About This Mac" and it'll display an info window, which lists the version of the OS running.
Old 13 February 2008, 08:55 PM
FX02
Scooby Regular

It is 10.5.

I've tried for ages to get it to connect to the printer. Whatever I do it just doesn't see it. Do the Macs have firewall on them?

When I google "printer sharing Mac" it comes up with older OS versions.
Old 13 February 2008, 09:10 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Macs do have a firewall, and 10.5 may well have it turned on by default. Open up System Preferences, then click on the Security preference pane, then click Firewall. See if it's set to "Allow all incoming connections". If not, try enabling that an see what happens.

Did you try the 10.4 links in that site I gave? I've not tried it myself so can't say if it does/does not work.
Old 13 February 2008, 09:47 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

Also try searching at macosxhints.com - OS X tips and tricks!

I found several useful tips there when setting up my apple/Windows printer shares.
Old 14 February 2008, 02:34 PM
FX02
Scooby Regular

Markus and LanCat.... I thank you both for your help on this. I've got into the firewall settings page and as far as I can tell it is allowing incoming connections. I also had another good look online about possible problems with the print sharing, and there do seem to be issues with 10.5 and printer sharing, so it may be a question of waiting for updates?.

I looked on the link you gave LanCat and there is one thing on there I will try (unchecking the print share box on the Mac).

Cheers.

One other thing..... The printer model is not listed in the drop down menu on the MacBook. Would I need to select Generic printer, or the closest match to the model of printer?

Last edited by FX02; 14 February 2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 14 February 2008, 04:53 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FX02

One other thing..... The printer model is not listed in the drop down menu on the MacBook. Would I need to select Generic printer, or the closest match to the model of printer?
you may need to download the relevant driver from the manu website