Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Default File Association for Mac

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2008, 12:38 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Default File Association for Mac

All, have got the following problem with Tiger 10.4.11

I need to change a certain file extention *.PAT to open with a different package than the one it currently does. At the moment these files open with photoshop however I need them to open with MAX/MSP

The problem here is the Macs are bound to AD (2k3 domain) and multiple users log on to them so the change has to replicate down to all users, searches on the net have only shown solutions for single user accounts, open with etc however I need to change to replicate down to all users......is this possible
Old 30 January 2008, 01:55 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Hi Mike,
A tricky one indeed, though I do have some ideas on what you can do.

The first thing is to find the preference file that contains the changed association. It looks like it's stored within the com.apple.LaunchServices.plist file in ~/Library/Preferences/

Now we know where the file is located, we simply need to make our change to the application association and then copy that file to the Preferences folder within all users' home folders. Simple eh?

How to do this? Well, it really depends on how the Home folder is being handled for the users. I'm going to guess that when they login, a share is mounted on the desktop and NFSHomeDirectory in their dsrecord is set to the path to this folder, thus telling the OS where the home folder is.
Even if you're using a locally based home folder, you'd still need to push the file out to all machines.

My thought would be to have a script that runs at login, and copies the file from a specific location into ~/Library/Preferences/, replacing whatever was previously there. As for the specific location, I'd be tempted to put it in the User Template (which is what the OS uses when it creates a home folder for a user). This means that when any new user logs in for the first time and their home is setup by the OS (unless this is done elsewhere on your setup?) it will pull over that file as well.
Old 09 February 2008, 05:42 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Many thanks as ever Markus