Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Internet Load Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2008, 01:51 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internet Load Balancing

Can it be done

Have a customer with two internet feeds both on their own subnet, but wants to essentially 'Load Balance' them

Now, they have a very strange setup with complex routing and they provide the Internet for about 18 sites all on their own subnet

They use ISA server internally for their own web browsing and also going through Content Keeper, they have another ISA Server which they use for some specific sites and the 18 sites use this ISA server and go through the same content keeper box
Old 28 January 2008, 02:48 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Are you talking about BGP routing ?
Old 28 January 2008, 03:12 PM
Vonzack
Scooby Regular

I've been looking at something similar just recently and I came across these products:

NetGear FVS336G - 2 WAN and 4 Gb LAN connections. Looks to be cheap and chearfull, but when load balancing it looks like ports have to be routed to the different WAN connections.
Firewall With 10 SSL VPN Tunnels & 25 IPSEC VPN Tunnels - FVS336G

PePLink Balance 380 - has 3 WAN ports and doesn't mention any requirement to route port traffic to specific WAN connections.
PePLink - Dual-WAN, Multi-WAN Internet Link Load Balancing Routers

Hope this helps.
Old 28 January 2008, 03:22 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Apparently Vigor (draytek) do one as well, just not sure how it would work in this environment

However I have just been told they do not want to do load balancing now, they just want the old Internet feed as a backup route incase the new one fails at any point
Old 28 January 2008, 04:50 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
Apparently Vigor (draytek) do one as well, just not sure how it would work in this environment

However I have just been told they do not want to do load balancing now, they just want the old Internet feed as a backup route incase the new one fails at any point
I configured a dual wan Draytek recently - crap tech support. Seemed like a toy in comparison to a Sonicwall. Even the bottom of the range TZ170 offers dual wan / fail-over / load balance, when upgraded with SonicOS enhanced.
Old 28 January 2008, 04:53 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

We have an offer on the Sonic Walls' at the moment, 250 quid off I think, not sure which models though
Old 28 January 2008, 06:11 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
We have an offer on the Sonic Walls' at the moment, 250 quid off I think, not sure which models though
I'd swear by them.

Jeff Wiltshire (on here) put me onto them. He of the "stealth Audi"
Old 28 January 2008, 06:54 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

Depends how much you are looking to spend on it. Stonegate have appliances that will load balance as many connections as you have bandwidth for. They can also have multiple devices clustered for redundancy. Excellent bit of kit imho, but costly compared to some of the others mentioned.
Old 28 January 2008, 09:31 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Citrix Netscaler. Quite simply awesome. On-the-fly compression, TCP connection aggregation (10,000 front end requests handled via 30 server connections so does away with all that expensive SYN, SYN/ACK, ACK nonsense for every connection). Ours handle ridiculous loads, plus there loads of other features like SSL handoff, content redirection, redirection based on server state etc etc etc. I can't recommend them enough.