Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Elite or Premium.....?

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2007, 08:32 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elite or Premium.....?

Having owned almost all consoles up to the PS2, the xbox 360 was a console too far. Getting old and a new baby meant not much time for gaming, anyway I have deciede to bite the bullet and and 360 will be mine for Christmas

So elite or Premium? The hardware differences appear to be a 120G HD v 20G and an HDMI cable. My HD TV only has a DVI input so I am not sure the cable is any use to me at the moment.
What are the practical uses of the 120G HD, do I need to be a mad 24/7 gamer to get the full use of it?
Old 23 November 2007, 08:35 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I was under the impression that the HD would be used for media (movies et al) and downloaded content (games etc)

Given that some games are close to 8gb. . .

Not sure if you can retrofit a bigger HD in there?
Old 23 November 2007, 09:31 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

you will need the bigger HDD if your going to join Xbox live.

with demos uput 1.5GB you can see where all the space goes. The games saves on 360 are upto 8mb and then you have any dowload content you buy for games.

go for the Elite .... it's the best deal. saying that you get HDMI on the new premiums and you could add the bigger Hdd later !
Old 23 November 2007, 09:38 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I am a mad keen gamer, and my premuim 20Gig (13 GB of which is useable) has done me fine. Course, you can never have enough space, but it's not like I run out, I just delete a demo when I am done with it.

I have a real issue with the amount MS are charging for a 120GB HDD, its just daylight robbery

In your circumstances I would see what deal offers you best value for money, rather than specifically going for one or the other.
Old 23 November 2007, 09:38 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can live with the 20gig hd if you delete your demos/vidoes after watching/playing them, depends if you plan on downloading tv/movies once MS get the download service up and running.

For the cost difference it's certainly worth considering the elite, yes you can retro fit the 120gig hd but it retails around £130 if you buy it as an after thought.

If you're lucky you can get the elite with the 65n chipset which should be a lot cooler (also uses a lot less power consumption so should save you a few quid over the year) and thus less likely to die, not sure if the premium's are shipping with the new chips yet altho probably are.

AnandTech: Microsoft's Xbox 360 goes 65nm: Falcon Dissection and Power Consumption
Old 23 November 2007, 10:11 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone, since the cost difference is minimal, I think I will go for the Elite.

So how do I tell it the console has the 65n chipset. There must be some info on the packaging??