Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Who makes a Dolby Digital Sky DigiBox

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2002, 08:40 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My cakky Amstrad popped its cloggs tonight
I remember seeing on here a while back a post about a new Dolby Digital receiver with an optical output..does anyone know what this box is?

Cheers

John
Old 13 January 2002, 08:59 PM
M_D_B
Scooby Regular

It's the Sony Sky+ box. You don't need to subscribe to Sky+, but you will have to pay the full price, £300ish I believe.
Old 13 January 2002, 11:32 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Didn't think the Sky+ box was sony ?

The std Sky Digital box which has the plug for optical out doesn't do Dolbydital cos Sky made them disable it.

Its the Sky+ you need. £300 for box, £50 installm £10 a month extra.

Deano
Old 14 January 2002, 12:25 AM
M_D_B
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Probably ain't a Sony, was thinking about the Sony cos it has an optical out, but not for Dolby.
Martin.
Old 14 January 2002, 12:05 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've been told by someone at work that Sony do a digi box that has an optical output for pro logic sound....I still can't find any info though.
Old 14 January 2002, 02:46 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

>> I've been told by someone at work that Sony do a digi box that has an optical output for pro logic sound

Yep they do, however it don't work with Sky!!
Old 14 January 2002, 04:21 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Yep Sony do a Sky Digibox that has a physical optical out connector. Sky made them disable it so they could control the market.

<RANT>

Sky are control freaks and the government has let them get away with it. IN anaolgue days, the Free-To-Air channels were exactly that, you could go into a shop buy your choice of satellite reciever with choice of features and receive free-to-air channels.

Now the sky encryption is proprietary and licensed by Sky. The only digital satellite recivers which can decode it are made by sky.( The digibox). Anyone else (e.g. sony) has to kowtow to sky in order to be allowed to license so can not offer additional features. Free-to-air channels are still encrypted so you still need a digibox (licensed by Sky) to recieve them. There is no consmuer choice for the reception of digtal satellite in this country.

BBC are Free-To-Air - My ****

Now Sky can fleece us all over again by releasing Sky+ which has features we should have been free to choose from Day One.

</RANT>

There, I feel better now

Trending Topics

Old 14 January 2002, 10:07 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

Damn, was up Tottenham Court Rd today, asked there about the Sony receiver, they new about it, nobody had one though

I reckon I'll have to get this piece of shyte Amstrad repaired/replaced, I think Sky do a one off fee of £45 for a call out if he can fix it (I'll make sure he can't ) or if its changed for a new box.

I personally think Sky should do this FOC, as I'm paying them £34 odd quid a month. Pants init...
Old 15 January 2002, 01:41 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

optical ouptuts migth eb available for pro logic, but there is no way on earth you will get dolbydigital 5.1 or more out of sky as the required bandwidth would mean they only had three channels, and I cant se them doing that.

Originally they made a commitment to the amount of bandwidth per channel but that was a false promise as it didnt allow them anywhere near the number of channels that market research said was demanded, so they cut bandwidth squeezed in more channels, and quality plummeted.
Old 15 January 2002, 01:49 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Adam

Dolby Digital is now available on selected films via the new Sky+ boxes.

Deano