Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Beginner needs help on server 2003.

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2007, 03:56 PM
greerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner needs help on server 2003.

hi tech guys.

i have just started getting to grips with server 2k3, and just setting up a small network in my dads business. a server and 3 cilents.

i have install server 2003, and need to add a network printer so all can printer to it. whats the best way, and do i just install it by going to printer and faxes menu in start and using the printer wizard.

also want to start adding new users and profiles, i take it i do this thru active directory. how it the best way to setup a new user profile.

i hope i made sense

many thanks

jamie
Old 11 November 2007, 04:02 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Quick Start Guide to Setting up Active Directory

How to Install Active Directory on Windows 2003

above are two guides for AD but really for 3 people that may be a little OTT. If you want to do it to learn about it then by all means do. Printers could be installed on the 2k3 box then shared from that you then connect from another machine i.e \\server-name and connect to the relevant printer as the user

Windows Server 2003 Tutorials, Visual and Step-by-Step

another one to look at

Last edited by mike1210; 11 November 2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11 November 2007, 04:07 PM
StiSi
Scooby Newbie

When 2k3 server is installed, setup the domain, install the printer on the server, run AD, setup the usernames and mailboxes (exchange). go onto the clients, make sure they are set to the right OU, make sure its all connected to the switch, get the users to logon and set the printer up on each computer to use as a network printer.

job done.
Old 11 November 2007, 04:09 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

As an option, you don't have to touch the server to alow people to share printers.

One of these for example just plugs into the existing network and can share printers around. Printer(s) plug into the box, box shares printers around network.
D-Link DP-300U Multi-Port Print Server
Old 11 November 2007, 04:12 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StiSi
When 2k3 server is installed, setup the domain, install the printer on the server, run AD, setup the usernames and mailboxes (exchange). go onto the clients, make sure they are set to the right OU, make sure its all connected to the switch, get the users to logon and set the printer up on each computer to use as a network printer.

job done.
Dont think he mentioned he has exchange.

Each user's email can be setup directly to your ISP.

You might want to consider a small firewall appliance which protects everyone on the LAN from unauthorised access. Google SonicWall.

Last edited by spectrum48k; 11 November 2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11 November 2007, 04:30 PM
greerwrx
Scooby Regular

wow thanks for the response guys.

err little bits of that went in. right so i have a hp laser jet, which has a network feature. do i just plug it in to the little switch i have and then acces it from the clients, or do i have to install drivers etc like a normal stand alone home pc.

or

do i just use the usb port to plug it in on the server etc.. do i have to setup anything on the server

cheers
Old 11 November 2007, 04:35 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

well, you could do either

one would be direct IP where the printer has a FIXED IP address and computers connect directly to that, would need drivers for the printer if they don't come with XP

The other way the printer can connect to the server via USB and shared that way

Me? I'd go with the first option in this scenario

Trending Topics

spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greerwrx
wow thanks for the response guys.

err little bits of that went in. right so i have a hp laser jet, which has a network feature. do i just plug it in to the little switch i have and then acces it from the clients, or do i have to install drivers etc like a normal stand alone home pc.

or

do i just use the usb port to plug it in on the server etc.. do i have to setup anything on the server

cheers
I'd go with the former - it just plugs into the switch. Just follow the instructions that came with it for network setup, which typically involves installing a driver on each computer at some point.

edited to add: Oops, sorry Mike!
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

For such a small network I would have considered Windows 2003 Small Business Server, comes with everything you need, including easy wizards to set everything up
Old 11 November 2007, 04:39 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
For such a small network I would have considered Windows 2003 Small Business Server, comes with everything you need, including easy wizards to set everything up
Yes agree