Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 4 announced...

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2002, 12:43 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GEOFF CRAMMOND'S GRAND PRIX 4 ROARS OUT OF THE PITS & ONTO XBOX

London, January 2001 - Enter a universe born of perfection, technology, competition, blistering speed and of course glamour - and witness the unveiling of a new chapter in Formula 1 gaming. Leading interactive games publisher, Infogrames, has today announced that it is bringing one of the largest and most critically acclaimed brands in gaming to Next Gen consoles for the first time, specifically the Microsoft XBox. Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 4 is the latest instalment in a hugely successful PC racing series, having sold over 2 million units worldwide. The new edition will launch on both PC and XBox in June 2002, bringing the sheer exhilaration of real F1 racing to a massive global audience.

From the inception of the first Grand Prix title in 1992, the Grand Prix series has garnered unparalleled critical acclaim, with PC Gamer hailing Grand Prix 3 as a "masterpiece". Throughout the entire series is the staggering attention to detail, phenomenal car physics, and utterly realistic artificial intelligence. The XBox and PC titles will of course carry the official FIA 2001 World Championship licence, featuring all the official drivers, teams and tracks from the 2001 season. Working in conjunction with Infogrames' Chipping Sodbury internal development studio, Geoff Crammond has reached gaming guru status through his hands-on design approach and ability to take programming to the level of art form.

"We believe this game raises and re-defines our own benchmark", commented Crammond. "This is not just a game about racing, this is literally the closest you will get to F1 racing without actually being there."

"Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 4" for PC and XBox boasts an all new physics and graphics engine, allowing for greater accuracy and immersion than ever before. A whole host of new additions are promised, including multi-player options, GPS positioning information and a motion-captured pit crew, all combined to offer the player the most intense F1 racing experience available.

Infogrames' Marketing Manager for Sport & Racing titles announced, "To PC gamers, Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 4 games represent the epitome of F1 video-gaming. By bringing Grand Prix 4 to the XBox as well as PC, we are offering console gamers the first ever opportunity to get their hands on the next evolution of a legend."
Old 11 January 2002, 08:37 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I for one was VERY dissapointed with GP3 and I doubt there are many people who'd played GP1 & 2 more than me.

GP1 was so good I brought GP2 without waiting to test it.
GP2 was so good I brought GP3 without testing it.
GP3 was such a let down I doubt I'll bother.

Matt
Old 11 January 2002, 10:28 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Yep, I agree with these comments. GP3 was a let down. I didn't even think the graphics were that good on GP3. Anyway, they've done a new graphics engine apparently.

Think poor Geoff was so used to writing his own games in the past, he didn't realise how much work was involved in GP3, along with the Direct3D engine, etc.. Probably ended up with a big team of people working under him, so the quality suffered.

I always thought the guy was a genius for getting a game as good as REVS out of the BBC B Micro! Stunt Car was a classic too!

Just thought I'd post the news anyway.

-DV
Old 11 January 2002, 08:37 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hope they wait until after the world cup to release it, or I'll be getting no sleep at all in JUne
Old 01 November 2002, 08:40 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

now this should be interesting, top race game writer.

I've lost count of the number of times i bought the latest geoff crammond driving game to find it played quite slowly and had most of the detail off. Well it'll be three times won't it

I can recall when 3 came out, and i had something like a start of the art pentium 2 (i think it was) but the thing ran so slow and with bugger all detail on.

Problem with 3 was there didnt seem to be any real advancement other than in gfx. should have called it gp2-3dfx
Was still quite pleasant, though the ubisoft race titles made it look pretty poor.

I spoke to a friend at <insert games comapny here cos i cant remember, possibly micropose> who said that they had future engineered it so it stays at the front of pc gaming, i asked how the mags got the hi res shots to be told i can turn it all on but wait and see how slow it is then hehehehehe.

[Edited by ptholt - 1/11/2002 8:42:02 AM]