how do we complain to the FIA over silverstone

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2000, 12:53 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Question

i want to send a mail to the FIA over this disaster at the British Grand Prix.

Can i find a mail address, can i f**k.
i cant find one for the MSA either.

we should all send a complaint about this synical date switch. The F1 teams won't do it, they have too much dosh to make to care about rocking the boat.

do any of you out there know how i can do this.

this is what i want to send.

For the attention of Max Mosley

Your decision to run the British grand prix on easter weekend is a disgrace.

A decision taken to cause maximum disruption to the British grand prix organisers and the British paying public.

Both yourself and bernie eclestone should be ashamed of yourselves for devastating one of our most important sporting occasions.

Yours totally disgusted
John Felstead

PS. I am an active motorsport competitor, if there were an alternative to the FIA sanctioned organising bodies I would use it. You have clearly lost a grip on reality.
Old 22 April 2000, 02:44 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiya John..

Just watched qualifying and they showed you the conditions at the circuit ... and boy were they muddy, the've got tractors and tracked diggers pulling cars out and looks like some were abandoned all night.

I find it so stupid that the pathetic grass carparks have'nt been replaced with hardcore at the very least, I had to be towed out a few years back when my Fiesta bottomed out in the mud at one of the gates after 10 lanes of cars exit through one 5 bar gate. Where does all the money they get througout the racing season go ... obviously not on the lowly spectators....Totally ludicrous.

I know now why I stay at home and watch it. Good luck with the letter John but I feel it will be water off the old duck's back .....

K
Old 22 April 2000, 04:48 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

John
Old 22 April 2000, 05:05 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

i know ian, but no email info.

thousands more would email than write to complain.

Thats probably why they dont have one.
Old 22 April 2000, 05:10 PM
strong
Scooby Regular

The qualifying program on ITV said that the switch is only for this year because the French won the battle between Easter and July. At least we won't have this fiasco again.
Old 22 April 2000, 05:31 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

that was bernie just covering his ar$$e.

NOBODY is telling the truth.

It comes down to little boys throwing their toys out of the pram to put pressure on silverstone to co-operate on the rip off bernie has forced on the british motorsport community by charging a massive increase of fee to stage the GP.

Brands has bought the rights to the GP but doesn't have a suitable track. It is reported that the GP under the new deal with brands will run at a loss. I think Nicola Foulston resigning from the BHL board was no coincidence, she signed a bad deal.

These reasons are exactly why the EU is going after the FIA.

Power corupts, absolute power corupts absolutely.
Old 22 April 2000, 05:36 PM
Doug
Scooby Regular

I was at the practice session on Good Friday and the conditions were very bad.

Made me smile when I came back to my car to find stranded cars everywhere and the BMW M3 parked next to me had managed to get about 10 feet. I took it easy and drove straight out the mud with everyone staring at me with very green faces.

I am disgusted with the date change, with our English weather the GP has to be in the so called summer months.

I shall forward my concerns to the FIA.

Doug

[This message has been edited by Doug (edited 22-04-2000).]
Old 22 April 2000, 07:25 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

It's not just us fans that suffer either, think of all the hoteliers, bars etc. I for one cancelled my hotel at 5PM Fri night. Somebody(Bernie and Max) should hold their hand up and admit it was a mistake to run in April.
Chip.
Old 22 April 2000, 07:45 PM
PhilBennett
Scooby Regular

Err - guys I think you should save your breath (or typing finger!).

Do you honestly think Bernie gives two ****'s about what anyone thinks?

At the end of the day he controls F1 and that's it end of story - if he wanted to stage the event on December 25th it would either run OR there would be no British GP.

The BRDC has done it's best given the circumstances and the best support would be to send kind letters to them.
Old 22 April 2000, 10:16 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Couldn't agree more - these people don't give a damn about the huge-fee-paying average punter. I've been to every British GP for the last ten years, and conditions have not changed one bit, despite prices going up EVERY year. I keep going, because its a brilliant atmosphere, but this year's event being in April is taking the pi55 - camping's no fun when its cold and wet. So my friends and I have decided to go to the Barcelona GP in 2 weeks for 5 days.

I'd like to think that this and all the other people complaining/staying at home will convince someone that joe public matters - but I doubt it.
Old 23 April 2000, 11:09 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Angry

John

Couldn't agree more with you re FIA on this one.

BRDC don't exactly come out of it smelling of roses either.
Report in Autocar said they couldn't afford to host GP from 2003 as price had gone up from £5M to £11M and they *only* made £4M profit last year !

£4M profit and you have to park in a bog ! ( if they wll let you )

I know they have a business to run but at these numbers they could afford to treat their customers a little better.

John
Old 23 April 2000, 11:58 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

there is a huge difference between the BRDC and other track owners/race organisors.

The BRDC use the british grand prix profits to promote the lower ranks of the sport and often run other race meetings at a loss.

They also invest large sums of money to support up and comming young racing drivers.

Also they have spent millions in track upgrades and facility upgrades at silverstone over the years.

I am not a BRDC member if you were thinking i am biased.

The BRDC had no option but to run this event when they were TOLD to do so by the FIA. It has caused huge disruption within the sport as lots of marshals etc who would traditionaly have been all over the UK at easter meets are having to not support there local tracks to be at silverstone.

The loss to the local economy will be massive from running in april, who wants to camp for 4 days in this weather?

Finaly, do you realy want to see all the farmland around silverstone paved over?

I don't, i have been to many GP's both wet and dry and the land has generally coped OK, because by july the water table has dropped sufficiently to allow the odd days rainfall to be absorbed. In april the ground is fully loaded with water so it has nowhere to go, hence mudbath.
Old 23 April 2000, 05:35 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

I personally think that this years fiasco is only a worse version of the insulting rip-off and poor facilities foisted upon us paying punters over recent years by the F1 circus.

I ve been every year for the last 3 or 4 and decided I wasn`t going to put up with 6 hr q`s to get out of the place afterwards and no facilities other than dusty banks inside at these inflated prices this year. Am I glad I didn`t!!

THe y seem to have reduced the support race programme lately also, so it is even poorer value.

It would be nice if they could extend the warm up to an hour as well.

I think Ecclestone and Mosely are the main villains of the piece and should be quietly sent to Eastbourne to drink tea.

People say " If itweren`t for Bernie....etc, " but i think we need new blood, some real competition and less nepotism in the sport.

Bring back the turbo era!!! Now that was exciting.
Old 23 April 2000, 06:02 PM
PhilBennett
Scooby Regular

John's right about the BRDC - They own Silverstone and had no choice but to host the British GP in April. Either that or no GP.

The BRDC couldn't do more for British motor racing. The Silverstone facility is superb they invest heavily in young driver talent not only in the McLaren/Autosport young driver of the year but also in paying towards individual drivers budgets.

They have also done a great deal with the new Powertour series and is now argueably a better National series than the TOCA touring car package.

As regards the support package that is a Bernie thing and as for the turbo era - Oh yeah wasn't that last dominated by McLaren in 1988 - how interesting that was.
Old 23 April 2000, 06:39 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Phil you` re missing the point, we are not moaning aboout what brdc does to promote the lower echelons: we are moaning about how the SPECTATORS not competitors get treated.

aS for 88, at least someone overtook once in a while!
Old 23 April 2000, 06:49 PM
PhilBennett
Scooby Regular

Well tell me a circuit in the UK where spectators get better facilities than Silverstone?
Old 23 April 2000, 07:12 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

It'll be interesting to see if CHAMP cars come to the new Rockingham facility next year. If they do I for one will be going. The standard of driving may not be as high as F1 but the racing knocks spots off any F1 race i've seen for years.
Cheers
Chip.
Old 23 April 2000, 07:14 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

My back garden
Old 23 April 2000, 07:56 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

The elephant and castle roundabouts.

more thrills too.
Old 24 April 2000, 12:14 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

JohnF, PhilB,

I'm not criticising the work the BRDC do in supporting grass roots sport. If they didn't do it nobody else would !

I was trying to say (not very Clearly ) that as all their income is spectator generated (Poison Dwarf hogs all the TV income) tey should be a little more customer friendly.

Try attending a meeting at one of the German circuits for example. In and out in no time and superb facilities.

Obviously the race organisation/marshalling etc is without comparison but the average GP spectator ( 1 event per year ) does not neccesarily appreciate this.

I do agree obyiously that BE/MM are the villains here, unfortunately as Phil pointed out the only opinion he is interested in is his own and stuff the customer.

Give him some anyway John.

Cheers, John

Old 24 April 2000, 10:06 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Red face

How embarrasing.

Just saw tractors towing cars out of the spectator parking areas at Silverstone on the national news.

The one I saw being unceremoniously dragged out of the mud was none other than a (rather new looking) Range Rover!!!!!

Mike.
Old 24 April 2000, 03:06 PM
PhilBennett
Scooby Regular

Hi Doc - generally I agree with the sentiment of the overall arguement HOWEVER it always makes me smile when people try and say things like:-

The facilities are naff compared to, blah, blah, blah.

I've been to alot of circuits throughout the world and I can assure you that Silverstone is one of the best facilities in the world - for competitor AND spectator.

You mentioned Germany - well Germany only has two circuits that would be capable of hosting a GP. Hockenhiem and the Nurburgring - and I've been to both more than once. In fact I've been to both at GP weekend, the latest was Nurburgring 1999.

Lets take the Nurburgring - well the parking here is either in the main road that runs past the circuit, in the Dorint hotel car park OR in fields just like....Oh yes Silverstone!

Then once you have parked up tell me what have we got at Nurburgring that you haven't got at Silverstone?
Old 24 April 2000, 04:53 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Well, I m looking forward to my usual facilities at Monaco this year: Marcus` roof terrace overlooking Loewes and Portier.

Old 24 April 2000, 09:00 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

can we all come and squat
Old 25 April 2000, 10:47 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Err guys, how can you guarantee that July or whatever date will be dry?

I reckon you could quite easly get the same heavy rain in July that we saw this weekend.

Greg
Old 25 April 2000, 02:41 PM
Jonathan Witts
Scooby Regular

Slightly off thread but to balance the views here is my account of a great day on Sunday.

I took the 4x4 route in from Thurweston Airport. There were no queues to get to the airport, and it took 20mins in a Landrover to drive into Silverstone - A quick walk and I was sitting in the F1 Paddock hospitality !

The way home was just as easy - no queues - drove straight home.

Some of the guys joining our group were getting the helicopters in from Milton Keynes - Unfortunatly the fog grounded them until about 10.00 am - They instead put on a coach and driven down !!!

I would highly reconmend the 4x4 route, the cost for parking and transfer is £50

Jon
Old 25 April 2000, 05:47 PM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Helps if you have an auntie who lives in 'silverstone village'..I do, parking no probs (front drive) casual walk the 10 mins to the circuit...casual walk out afterwards..tea and biccies by 5pm..excellent weekend..sorry to gloat, but weeelll, you would wouldn't you...
Old 25 April 2000, 06:12 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

I had a fantastic weekend, the rain just added to the fun. Arrived Friday and camped for the weekend Burns rolled about 25 meters from me sitting at Club.
Old 26 April 2000, 09:13 PM
Kevin Tree
Scooby Regular

I had a great day on Sunday, had to abandon the coach 5 miles out as it had taken 4 hours to do a mile and a half! Got to Abbey Straight a 12.45, Phew just in time for my first experience of a GP. Monday was another story, couldn't move
Where next!