Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Parse Error at line 208 when trying to open add/remove programs

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2007, 09:12 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parse Error at line 208 when trying to open add/remove programs

Hi guys,

As title suggest I get this Parse error at line 208 when I try to open the addremove programs in the control panel. I am running windows XP SP2.

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what a parser error is and preferably how do I get add/remove programs working correctly again.

Cheers
for any advise.
Old 22 October 2007, 12:06 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Easiest bet is to do a system restore if u have a recent one handy. Can't find anything relevant for this on MS or google, I assume in XP? But when I have seen problems with add/remove on win2k/XP it has been caused by a corrupt MDAC install. Reinstalling the correct version of MDAC fixed it.
Old 22 October 2007, 06:03 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This error normally occurs if the file sysoc.inf is missing from C:\Windows\Inf folder. Extracting a new copy of this file from XP CD-ROM should help. You may use MSCONFIG to extract the file. It is possible that some other INFs are missing.
Old 22 October 2007, 10:58 AM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

OK cheers for the advise so far. I tried to do a system restore which didnt work - every date I chose it said it could not do following the reboot.

I then tried to do a system recovery following a backup and this said that it cannot find software program.

I dont think I got any recovery CD's - the hard drive has a partition on but I cannot access d: - It is the recovery partition. Is their anything else I can do - i.e. download missing files from Microsoft. It is a genuine copy of windows.

Cheers for any further advice.
Old 22 October 2007, 08:36 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
This error normally occurs if the file sysoc.inf is missing from C:\Windows\Inf folder. Extracting a new copy of this file from XP CD-ROM should help. You may use MSCONFIG to extract the file. It is possible that some other INFs are missing.
HI,

I have checked and this file does exist in the folder stated. Do you have any other ideas where I could find out if I have other files missing?

Cheers

Stuart
Old 22 October 2007, 08:42 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

a parse error means theres a fault in the code either a corrupt file or a virus!

When my add/remove broke it was down to themes this is what I did

1.) Go to your /WINDOWS/Resources/Themes directory, or wherever you may have your themes located.
2.) Go into the directory of the theme your currently using.
Example: Using 'Semplice' by KoL? Navigate to /WINDOWS/Resources/Themes/Semplice
3.) Go into the folder called 'Shell" within the previous directory.
4.) Inside you'll find a folder with a file called 'shellstyle.dll' inside. Now remember the name of the theme your using? (Example: Semplice). You need to rename this folder from Shell to the name of the theme your currently using. If you don't know the exact name, go to Display Properties, and try to Display/Show the theme, the name you see in Display Properties is the name you need to change the 'Shell' folder to.
Example: Using Semplice as an example, the Shell folder for that theme is called 'Shell', in this situation you'll need to rename the folder to 'Semplice'. Easy enough, right?
Note that for multi-part themes, aka themes with more than one variation or color, you'll need to rename each corresponding 'Shell' folder to what is displayed in Display Properties when you try to apply the theme.
5.) Now that you've changed the 'Shell' folder name to correspond with the visual styles name, reapply the theme.
6.) Go to Add/Remove Programs, and voila! "
Old 22 October 2007, 09:37 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

Cheers for this but I dont seem to be able to get it to work!!! Have tried this and this is what I have in mine - c:\windows\resources\themes\Luna\shell - Within this directory I have three sub directories called Homestead, Metallic, normal colour and within each of these directories are shellstyle.dll files.

I went into display properties and the current theme is windows XP. From your instructions i should then rename the shell folder to windows xp. It wont let me. It wont even let me rename the folder whatsoever. It says cannot rename shell, access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected or the file is not in use.

Have I misunderstood your instructions?

Any further help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Stuart
Old 22 October 2007, 10:08 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScooBStu
Cheers for this but I dont seem to be able to get it to work!!! Have tried this and this is what I have in mine - c:\windows\resources\themes\Luna\shell - Within this directory I have three sub directories called Homestead, Metallic, normal colour and within each of these directories are shellstyle.dll files.

I went into display properties and the current theme is windows XP. From your instructions i should then rename the shell folder to windows xp. It wont let me. It wont even let me rename the folder whatsoever. It says cannot rename shell, access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected or the file is not in use.

Have I misunderstood your instructions?

Any further help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Stuart
See the problem now is I'm runnin vista.. so its awkward.

*gets laptop out*

within the themes is luna and then shell and then normalcolor or homestead I dont know which it is, then rename the file in there to windowsxp or whatever yours is called. I did it for both folders to make sure.

AGAIN I have to stress I did this to fix the same error but I was using another theme I cant predict the impact on your pc, I just did it on my laptop and everything is ok, but it worked before I did it.
Old 23 October 2007, 05:31 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
See the problem now is I'm runnin vista.. so its awkward.

*gets laptop out*

within the themes is luna and then shell and then normalcolor or homestead I dont know which it is, then rename the file in there to windowsxp or whatever yours is called. I did it for both folders to make sure.

AGAIN I have to stress I did this to fix the same error but I was using another theme I cant predict the impact on your pc, I just did it on my laptop and everything is ok, but it worked before I did it.
Ok cheers for your help but it still doesnt work!!! I have tried to rename everything to windows xp now and it either doesnt work or the shelldll file re-appears within a few seconds!!

I am thinking about re-installing windows now as the PC is starting to bug me as it is riddled with issues!!!

Cheers anyway

Stuart
Old 23 October 2007, 08:29 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Ok cheers for your help but it still doesnt work!!! I have tried to rename everything to windows xp now and it either doesnt work or the shelldll file re-appears within a few seconds!!

I am thinking about re-installing windows now as the PC is starting to bug me as it is riddled with issues!!!

Cheers anyway

Stuart
Can you post a screen shot up of the error please?
Old 24 October 2007, 04:53 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the delay -only just got your message. Screenshot of the parser error below:
Old 24 October 2007, 10:51 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the delay -only just got your message. Screenshot of the parser error below:

try CCleaner - Home

and the reg fixer on the side, its free
Old 25 October 2007, 01:46 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

hmm

Originally Posted by frosted
doubt ccleaner would help.
Maybe Registry Mechanic might be able to do something.

Just tell ScooBStu to do a clean install, that allways fixes everything