Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Can someone please explain about wireless & certificate identity to me please?

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2007, 01:00 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can someone please explain about wireless & certificate identity to me please?

During my recent holiday in Germany I tried to get onto the wifi network in the hotel using my wireless enabled laptop using the correct network key as given to me by the hotel. My laptop found the network ok but said it couldn't identify the certificate and therefore wouldn't let me on the network which was uber frustrating. Is there a way to manually add certificates or to bypass the need to identify them? BTW my laptop works on all the other networks that I've tried ok.

I haven't a clue about all this stuff but don't really want a similar situation occuring again so all explainations will be gratefully received

Cheers

Sal
Old 23 August 2007, 09:53 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Bump Someone must know something about this surely?
Old 24 August 2007, 12:56 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've not come across a wireless network that uses a certificate as well as a network key, but from the very brief look I've had it seems that it is possible for a WiFi setup to request this.

I doubt there is a way to bypass the certificate, otherwise having it would be somewhat pointless as the majority of people would do this.

As for how to get your laptop to obtain/use the certificate, well I've been having a read of this, somewhat meaty technet document. If you search for "Configure a User Certificate with EAP" you'll get to a section where is discusses how to install a cert on a client. Basically you go into the Authentication section of your wireless card config and enable the option and click properties. This should, I think, allow you to select a certificate to use or validate the server.

I'm surprised the hotel didn't mention this certificate requirement when they gave you the network keys.
Old 24 August 2007, 01:32 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Cheers Markus To be fair the girl on reception was a bit of a div and I didn't bother questioning it as I don't speak German and could see the conversation going nowhere fast
Old 24 August 2007, 01:49 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

You should have just spoken much, much louder and more slowly in English to make her understand
Old 25 August 2007, 04:41 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Our corporate wi-fi in the UK offices is certificate based, tied into Active Directory, no cert, no access.