Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Poxy Monitor!

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2002, 11:00 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Help my monitor on my pc keeps turning itself off! The screen just goes blank and the on/off button stops working and the power light goes blank. Is it time for a new monitor as the one I have at the moment is 2 years old or has some kind person sent me something nasty?
thanks ian

P.s. I tried to post this at 5pm but guess what the fecking monitor turned itself off! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 03 January 2002, 11:03 PM
ChrisB

It could well be a dodgy monitor - worth trying it another PC.

Other thing that comes to mind is that it's getting confused with the Power Management. I presume you're running Windows - what version? Might be worth turning off the options for the monitor in Control Panel > Power Options / Management.

HTH,

Chris.
Old 04 January 2002, 06:55 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Chris, I'm using Windows 98SE. I shall give the power management thing you suggested a try.
thanks ian
Old 05 January 2002, 08:16 AM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Well I checked the power management settings and they are all ok, also I saw something about hibernation in the windows help section but this isn't enabled on my pc so it isn't that one.
Can anyone else think what might be causing this to happen?
thanks ian
Old 05 January 2002, 11:46 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

If the monitor was going into power save then the power led would change colour wouldn't it ? Or at least it does on all the monitors I've used. Don't bother with windows power save as it pants.

Out of interest is there a power save function on the BIOS ? (hit del, or F2 / F1 on bootup) Even so I still would have thought the led will change colour.

I think the monitor is shagged, try another one.

Cheers Phill C
Old 05 January 2002, 11:55 AM
Silent Monkey
Scooby Regular

Sounds more like a hardware problem with the monitor if the on/off switch doesn't work and the power light goes off, rather than the monitor going into standby which is normally indicated by an orange or flashing light instead of a green light.

Have you been able to try it on another system or laptop?

Which monitor is it? Some have power saving in the monitor itself, accessed through on-screen menus.

What do you have to do to get it working again? Does it just start working again after being off for a while? If it does I would definitely suspect the monitor hardware.

I'd expect a 2 year old monitor to still be under warranty, possibly not with the supplier but with the manufacturer. I haven't purchased any monitors in the last 4 years that don't have a 3 year swap out warranty and that has been several hundred of the things.
Old 05 January 2002, 03:00 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Would you believe it, but it don't seem to have a manufactuers name anywhere [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] unless "Energy" is the Manufactuers name. It has got a little star just after the word energy and also made in Korea with the model no. being 9S906 on the rear label. It is a 19" digital monitor and is fapping HUGE! I originally purchased the pc from tiny just over 2 years ago. I haven't checked the monitor on another pc yet as it is so big and I would have to take it elsewhere.
The monitor seems to reset itself after I have left the thing switched off at the mains for a good few hours
cheers ian
Old 05 January 2002, 04:14 PM
Beau
Scooby Regular

Energy* (should be a five pointed star but I can't do that on this keyboard) with an arc over the top of it just means it is slightly more energy efficient than older models and it should not irradiate the user quite so much. You need to try it on another pc. Stating the obvious here. If it works on another pc then your machine is the prob. If it does the same you know the monitor is the prob. I am guessing that nothing you do with the mouse/keyboard or pc will bring the screen bback to life once it has shut down. If so try removing the power lead from the screen as soon as it goes off and plugging it back in. Let me know the results.
Old 05 January 2002, 04:23 PM
Beau
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Sorry

Did not say, it could be a Virus but Very unlikely. You can't kill a monitor with a virus so trying the monitor on another pc is really what you need to do to work out where the problem lies. Viruses tend to be more humorous or malignant than just shutting down the monitor. I would love to stab in the eyes the person that created the ZaCher virus.

I must not rant about viruses.
Old 05 January 2002, 04:46 PM
ScoobyDan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I had the same problem with the monitor on my very first PC (about 10 years ago). After a period of time, the monitor would just turn itself off, and could only be used again after a couple of hours. The length of time I could use it gradually got shorter and shorter.

In the end I traced the problem to the monitor becoming overheated (hence it working again after a 'cooling down' period). If I recall correctly it was resolved by replacing a busted capacitor (but it was a long time ago, so I could be wrong! ).

In short, I think you'll find the monitor is broke. Best thing is to get it to a trusted repairer/computer shop to have a look at, or start looking for a new monitor

Daniel
Old 05 January 2002, 04:47 PM
Silent Monkey
Scooby Regular

Ian

Can't you beg/borrow/steal a laptop to try it with, easier than carting a 19" around. I'll lend you one if your near me.

Won't be conclusive due to different conditions but when you're not using the PC leave the monitor switched on. You should get the power light either flashing or a different colour. See if it shows the problem then.

The fact that it works again after being left off for a time would certainly indicate a problem with the monitor, probably the PSU.

Any FCCID on the monitor.

[Edited by Silent Monkey - 1/5/2002 4:47:57 PM]

[Edited by Silent Monkey - 1/5/2002 4:48:30 PM]
Old 11 January 2002, 01:58 AM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Well it has finally repeated its favourite trick! This time I removed the power lead from the back for 10 mins and magically it came back on! So it would seem that it is fooked
Thanks for the advice and the offer of assistance guys.
I need to find out who made the dam thing and see if it has a warrenty still valid!
ian