Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

SBS2003 VPN Access restrictions..

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2007, 03:23 PM
RallyMarshal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SBS2003 VPN Access restrictions..

Have a client with SBS2003 R2 who wants the users to have different file access permissions dependant on whether they are logged in locally or remotely via VPN.

For example, Joe Bloggs should have access to any files on the server when connected through the LAN but when VPN'd in he should only have access to the files within the /Shared/ folder.

I cant think of any way to enforce this restriction within AD / SBS2003 etc. I can restrict access to files by username, can restrict access to VPN by username etc but not this.

The only way I can think of comes close but doesnt solve the issue - that is to remove remote access permissions for their main account and set up a seperate vpn account with remote access permissions but limited file permissions. However the user can simply map a drive with their main username and password and they will have their normal file access.

Any other ideas? Can I restrict access to file by IP address - how about using ISA 2004 to help?

Paul..