Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Xbox 360 Live / Internet connection problems

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2007, 08:31 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Xbox 360 Live / Internet connection problems

This is following on from another thread that I posted on but the problem continues so thought I'd post a specific thread. Basically I need to hook my 360 up to Xbox Live to download all the updates and most important of all the Oblivion patch for Caught in the Hunt. I don't want the 360 to be permanently connected as I'm not interested in on-line gaming at the moment. The story of my woes is as follows:

I tried to hook up to Xbox live/the internet with a multitude of cables via the PC and direct into the adsl modem but couldn't get it to work at all. Used the ethernet cable which just seemed to activate a network connection to the PC but the IP test failed. Tried to manually install the settings from my ISP account with IP addresses, user names and passwords but it still wouldn't work. Am I doing something blindingly obviously wrong? any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

There was advice given on the other thread of buying a router but wireless was suggested. I have no other wireless internet related kit so can I buy a cable router?

I spent another fruitless 2 hours last night trying to sort it out but no avail. Is the router my only option?

Am I the only person that thinks this process should be a lot simpler, especially when its a microsoft product? Plug'n'play to Xbox Live must have been a foreign word to the 360 developers
Old 27 June 2007, 08:50 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

for online gaming, wired is the best option. Use wireless only if cables cannot be used. For wireless you'd have to buy the wireless adapter for the Xbox also. With wired

* Phone plugs into router (if you get a router)
* pc and xbox plug into router using cables (pc to router, xbox to router)

not to mention the added security benefits a router will give you over using just a modem.

For just updates if you leave the PC connected to the net as it is, then plug the Xbox into the PC using ethernet cable. Enable ICS on the PC

Internet Connection Sharing with Windows XP

then in theory the xbox can connect to the net via the PC
Old 27 June 2007, 08:52 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to plug the ethernet cable directly in to the adsl modem, leave the pc out of the equation.

With the xbox on and plugged in to the modem, switch your modem off then back on and then tell the 360 to auto config the ip address.
Old 27 June 2007, 08:54 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

Yep, spent last night setting up ICS on the PC. I then restarted both the PC and the 360 and still no joy. Will try and buy a router today and have another go at it tonight.
Old 27 June 2007, 08:56 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

is this cable or ADSL? if it's cable (or if the ADSL modem stores the login credentials) what bob said will/should work

Last edited by mike1210; 27 June 2007 at 09:24 AM.
Old 27 June 2007, 08:57 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

An adsl router would be your best options as it handles pretty much everything

Id go for a netgear as they have less issues than other brands
Old 27 June 2007, 08:58 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

just do as bob said. ignore the rest
Old 27 June 2007, 08:00 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Right, i've just tried again but slightly differently this time. I connected the 360 directly to the modem via an usb cable i found. I then used the ethernet cable to connect to the PC and then I ran the test. Network adapter (Wired), IP Address (Confirmed) DNS (Failed). I then manually input my DNS details and when I ran the test again the IP Address test failed!

Any further advice would be welcome as I'm very close to throwing the 360 across the room lol
Old 27 June 2007, 10:13 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you need the pc attached ? if its just to get updates just connect the xbox. The xbox can only use ethernet to connect to the internet.
Old 27 June 2007, 10:38 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

he's not reading it right.
Old 29 June 2007, 03:44 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all your help chaps. As of 10.20pm last night I had a screen full of "Confirmed" and I finally connected to Xbox Live. Latest hardware updates have been downloaded and the patch for Oblivion has done the job. Thanks again for all the advise given. Borrowing a router did the trick.
Old 29 June 2007, 03:50 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

result!