Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

web databases

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2007, 04:48 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default web databases

Hello
Hoping someone can help. I need some advice about adding a database to a web site. To cut a long story shory I am involved in a non-profit making project to create a database of archaeological material around Andover. It will be fairly simple focussing on criteria such as location, type of evidence, how it was discovered etc. We aim to create a web site that will allow people to query the data to find what was found near them, distribution of pots etc.

Can I attach an Access database to the web site or do I need SQL server software?

Thanks
Nick
Old 26 June 2007, 05:34 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could use access but it is not ideal. Depends on who is doing it or if anyone involved knows anything.
Best, cheapest solution is something like ASP or PHP(middleware) and mysql(database)
Any budget at all?
Old 26 June 2007, 05:37 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

I would suggest the use of something like a forum actually. You can subdivide it into regions or classification of items and the search would then work through all forums/posts etc.
I would try and fit a mature free, off the shelf package around what you want rather than trying to develop something yourself. Just my 2p.
Old 26 June 2007, 06:02 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Also remember Access is NOT designed to handle a lot of requests. If your site ends up being hit concurrently by more than say 10-20 people, Access will crawl.

Its fine for prototyping with though
Old 26 June 2007, 06:23 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Just go with a PHP/MySQL combo - so much already out there.
Old 26 June 2007, 07:30 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone, some food for thought. One of the requirements is that it can be put on a CD to distribute to local schools. Is this possible with a forum? Obviously they would only get the data and no subsequent posts.

No budget unfortunately

Cheers
Nick
Old 26 June 2007, 08:47 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

already you have a problem, php and mysql are server based technologies and are aimed at content being serverd to the internet from the internet, whilst it can be done on local machines it is hassle and most definitely not a 'just stick this CD in and press run' type affair..

I don't think you are easily going to be able to eat that cake of yours.......
Old 26 June 2007, 09:04 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RichB
already you have a problem, php and mysql are server based technologies and are aimed at content being serverd to the internet from the internet, whilst it can be done on local machines it is hassle and most definitely not a 'just stick this CD in and press run' type affair..

I don't think you are easily going to be able to eat that cake of yours.......
No neither do I We're having a meeting on Thursday and I will suggest that the requirement for a CD is dropped and we concentrate on the web site.

Nick
Old 26 June 2007, 09:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is always SQL server Express and the free version of Oracle to go at, limited databases size and number of processors but if its only small you should be ok.
Old 26 June 2007, 10:11 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Actually, it is possible to take a snapshot of a website and generate pages of HTML although I don't know how well it would work with dynamic content and searching wont work either... HTTrack Website Copier - Offline Browser