Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Video senders for sky channels ??

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2007, 07:27 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video senders for sky channels ??

Having just recently had sky+ installed am now looking to be able to view sky from the tv in the bedroom, now I know there is skys own multiroom option just wonder what other practical options there is for sending the sky signal to this second tv set ??

from a quick search off ebay I see there are apparantly tow options 1/ magic eye + extra lengtyh off cable from sky box (??) to second tv and also av/video senders which certainly look the simpler solution ??!!

so okay video senders is this a viable option regards ease off set up and actual performance ?? any recommendations on what one to go for ? and lastly just where do they plug in within the main systmn as not entirely sure I have any spare scarts etc left ??!!

any advice would as always be much appreciatted.

cheers
Old 25 June 2007, 08:41 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Can you not pipe the signal up into the loft, and into your aerial splitter that feeds the rest of the house the terrestrial signal?

That's what I've done in my last two houses, and it means that every TV in the house can watch what's on Sky.
Old 25 June 2007, 09:45 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

If you look on the back of your box,there is an RF Output. This is for taking the sky signal to another telly, so either run it from teh RF output directy into your bedroom or do as above and take it into an arial splitter.

You will also need to swith on the RF Output so go to

Menu -> Services -> System Setup.

Press 0 then 1 then 'select'

This will take you to the installer menu, you can switch on the RF Output here.

You also nee to buy a Magic Eye, which allows you to change channel in your bedroom.

Old 25 June 2007, 04:24 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sub97
Can you not pipe the signal up into the loft, and into your aerial splitter that feeds the rest of the house the terrestrial signal?

That's what I've done in my last two houses, and it means that every TV in the house can watch what's on Sky.
Thanks guys appreciatte your advice, can you just explain a bit more regards just what I require / how to pipe the signal into the aerial splitter ??

still keen on the idea off the video sender - anyone tried this method ??
Old 25 June 2007, 04:47 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

i use a wireless video sender.(transmitter and reciver)
cost about 25 quid from tesco and works via scart

picture and sound are good. it can also transmit remote control signals.

Its not a perfect solution as moving about can sometimes cause distortions as can microwave ovens.
Personally im happy with it for a cheap solutiion. seems to tranmit throughout the whole house.
Old 26 June 2007, 07:19 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

I've also got a video-sender (can't remember the make but got it from Argos a couple years ago) and use it with Sky+. Picture and sound quailty are very good and the remote works fine.

I did have some interference from my wireless LAN until I played around with it.
Old 26 June 2007, 09:08 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Thanks guys appreciatte your advice, can you just explain a bit more regards just what I require / how to pipe the signal into the aerial splitter ??

still keen on the idea off the video sender - anyone tried this method ??
Basically, you need an aerial splitter (or my old sky box had two aerial outs so didn't need one), you then can either do it the harder way - drill through into the wall behind the Sky box and drop the cable down the gap between exterior wall and the interior wall in the loft, pull the cable through the hole you drilled, and connect to your Sky box or aerial splitter. Most aerial splitters in lofts have more than one input, so you just connect the other end of the cable to that. Then all the outputs from your loft box will be able to tune into both input signals.

The slightly easier way to the above is to drill through to the outside of your house, and have the cable go up the outside wall and into the loft. This is slightly easier as you don't have to try and line up the cable with the small hole in your interior wall to pull it through. It doesn't look as neat though.

I would have thought this would give a much better signal, and also means that any other TVs (kitchen, other bedrooms etc) will be able to watch Sky too.
Old 26 June 2007, 04:57 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Greatr stuff really appreciatte the advice, thanks again.
Old 27 June 2007, 09:32 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

No worries mate.