Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Release Delayed

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2007, 10:30 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Release Delayed

Statement from Apple.com:

Apple Statement
iPhone has already passed several of its required certification tests and is on schedule to ship in late June as planned. We can’t wait until customers get their hands (and fingers) on it and experience what a revolutionary and magical product it is. However, iPhone contains the most sophisticated software ever shipped on a mobile device, and finishing it on time has not come without a price — we had to borrow some key software engineering and QA resources from our Mac OS X team, and as a result we will not be able to release Leopard at our Worldwide Developers Conference in early June as planned. While Leopard's features will be complete by then, we cannot deliver the quality release that we and our customers expect from us. We now plan to show our developers a near final version of Leopard at the conference, give them a beta copy to take home so they can do their final testing, and ship Leopard in October. We think it will be well worth the wait. Life often presents tradeoffs, and in this case we're sure we've made the right ones. (Apr 12, 2007)

This at least somewhat confirms the rumors of when 10.5 was meant to ship, WWDC starting on June 11th, and the previously mentioned "Spring 2007" is just about covered by the WWDC dates.

What I expect is that we'll see the announcement of the "Top Secret" features at WWDC and no doubt a seed of 10.5 will be given out that includes these features. There will still be bugs and these will be ironed out in future seeds as the October release date is approached.

Last edited by Markus; 12 April 2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12 April 2007, 10:55 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

hmmm.... summit fishy there...

Have to admit that after using Vista for the last few weeks, I really like it (and this is coming from a die-hard Mac-user!)

Perhaps Apple are also going to tweak Leopard to give it more of an obvious edge......

Not necessarily true, but food for thought eh?

In the meantime, hold on til Chrimbo

Dan
Old 13 April 2007, 08:47 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Markus,

Just to update you with my hanging imac (!)

I havent run skype or skypemacmate for 2 days now and everything seems to be running fine, no lock-ups so fingers crossed!

back on topic, I don't care about leopard, I want an iphone and I want one NOW!

Gary
Old 13 April 2007, 10:31 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

October ? ~ Dagnammit !
I sold my MacBook on Fleebay the other week and thought I'd hold off buying a MB Pro until Leopard came out !!!

Might get one now instead... or wait until there are some hardware changes that cannot be that far off (if you beleive the rumour mills!)

Ah well... cash in my pocket and not some mega conglomorate
Old 13 April 2007, 02:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Apple does not want to delay the iPhone, so as the statement said, it's pulled people away from direct 10.5 dev, which does make some sense as the OS on the iPhone is also based on a cut down version of 10.5.

The infrequency of the seed releases of 10.5 did give some previous clue that it wasn't going to be ready on time. Even the latest seed, released yesterday is far from perfect, a lot of known issues and things not working, it's certainly nowhere near release, so how people thought we'd see it released in March/April let alone June I'll never know.

Another factor could well be these often touted "Top Secret" features, it's possible they could be a little more significant than just new apps or an interface tweak and as such developers will need a bit of time to work with them, and June to October should be enough time for that.

Gary - Excellent news. It's possibly just the MacMate thing causing the issue, so give Skype a try on it's own and see if you get problems.
Old 13 April 2007, 05:18 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Thats not good for me personally.

I wanted a Mac mini with Leopard for a media centre. I'll see if they put a C2d CPU in the mini and I'll buy one with Tiger perhaps
Old 13 April 2007, 07:10 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Any reason why you'd want 10.5 over 10.4 for a media center in a mac mini? Why not get 10.4 and then upgrade to 10.5 when it comes out.
Old 13 April 2007, 09:47 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I've been hanging on for ages to update my ancient G3 PB, and now I have to wait even longer Oh well, I'm sure it'll be worth it
Old 13 April 2007, 11:32 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I thought it was supposed to be Microsoft that copied Apple with operating system stuff...

Now it sounds like Apple have decided to copy MS with delays to operating sytem releases

John.
Old 13 April 2007, 11:53 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Let's hope that's the only similarity
Old 14 April 2007, 11:05 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

They normally delay to add more cool stuff in not becuase its crap !

10.5 should have Vista support in bootcamp although we;ve seen most people going down the Parallels route now

AllanB
Old 14 April 2007, 06:22 PM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

I dont get why people are getting hung up about it i mean its not like were still on 10.2 waiting for 10.3

Tiger is fine for me at the moment as ive learnt to live with a broken Finder
Old 14 April 2007, 07:10 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I'm still on Panther 'cos I don't think my little PB could cope with Tiger Leopard will be for its replacement, whenever it's available.
Old 15 April 2007, 04:15 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

What spec is your PB? I've got a blueberry iMac with 256MB RAM and it seems happy to run Tiger. If I chucked in more RAM it'd probably be even happier
Old 15 April 2007, 05:04 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

G3 400mhz 320mb 9.8gb

Until I had a mercenary clean out of the Library/Cache's I only had 1gb of HD left, and suffered badly with the spinning beachball and stalls. Freed up 4gb and feel a little more confident about putting it on, although I wonder if the background work Spotlight gets up to may make it a bad idea.
Old 15 April 2007, 09:44 AM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

if you do go to 10.4 spotlight will just index you drive at first and then do nothing much in the background.

The best thing to do though would be to kill off dashboard as that eats memory
Old 15 April 2007, 10:37 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AllanB
They normally delay to add more cool stuff in not becuase its crap !

10.5 should have Vista support in bootcamp although we;ve seen most people going down the Parallels route now

AllanB
Bootcamp already supports Vista, as of 1.2 beta.
Old 15 April 2007, 10:48 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Any reason why you'd want 10.5 over 10.4 for a media center in a mac mini? Why not get 10.4 and then upgrade to 10.5 when it comes out.
Money!

Well, id like to see what features 10.5 has - I intend to use iCal a lot on the media centre for examlple.

PLus we're just buying our first house so I won't have much spare cash in October

I wonder of they will update Hardware before leapord
Old 15 April 2007, 02:39 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattbeef
if you do go to 10.4 spotlight will just index you drive at first and then do nothing much in the background.

The best thing to do though would be to kill off dashboard as that eats memory
I'd do that anyway as I just can't seem to fathom out what the Hell it's for Always been a proper Mac geek with a perfectly clean desktop and Apple develop an OS feature which seems to allow you to have a hidden scruffy desktop full of silly webloc alias little window things available at the touch of a button, full of mostly pointless stuff which can be accessed within a few seconds on the net anyway

And then MS copy it and call it Gadgets when the people who've tried it for a year or two have already said it's just a gimmick and once the novelty has dissolved they don't use it.
Old 15 April 2007, 04:43 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I don't like dashboard either, have used it on very very rare occasions. I don't see the point in having to hide everything else just to use a widget, and putting dashboard into development mode to allow widgets to be seen without activating dashboard is not really on. I much prefer Konfabulator/Yahoo Widget Engine. It does not rely on you having to switch to a "layer" to see the widgets, though I have a feeling it does have a layer like feature in it to mimic dashboard.
Old 15 April 2007, 06:11 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

slightly off-topic - but Harry Enfield & Paul Whitehouse have put me off talking about computers for a while...
Old 15 April 2007, 10:25 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Some hardware has been updated such as the Mac Pros now going to 8 core processors.

AllanB
Old 17 April 2007, 01:25 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

ACDs are down by over £120 for the 20"
Old 17 April 2007, 09:17 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

that iPhone better hurry up, I want 1!!!!