Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Soundcard Saga... emulation?

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2007, 04:12 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Soundcard Saga... emulation?

Just purchased a new PC with a Creative X-Fi Soundcard fitted. To my surprise, tho' the machine appears to load the drivers, it tells me (through DxDiag) that the Soundcard is "emulated", even tho' it's physically present.

Now, I assume that "emulated" means that some software somewhere is doing the job the soundcard is meant to do and, FAIK, a) taking up unecessary resources and b) possibly not doing it as well as the Card-proper ought. Is that technically correct? Indeed, intermittant distortion has been a problem, which drew my attention in the first place.

Not looking for someone to 'sort' the PC, but can anyone tell me (or give me a suitable reference URL) as to why the hell any provider would want to set a PC up so as to 'emulate' a soundcard which is physically present? How can I force the machine to use the harware, or isn't it worth doing?

TIA

Phil Harrison
Old 20 March 2007, 04:18 PM
Pedro_79
Scooby Regular

In dxdiag, are you seeing the word 'emulated' next to one or more of the devices in the music tab, or is it somewhere under the sound tab?
Old 20 March 2007, 04:30 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

In the DxDiag.txt Report File it is under "Sound Devices" and on the tabbed display it's under Audio 1.

"Description: Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio (emulated)"
and the next dozen or so parameters have NO data (except "type emulated"

I'd add, that on my D-Drive I have a separate, virgin, copy of XP(H) awaiting Vista: IT has accepted the drivers and, under "Sound Devices" I get a whole (correct) series of driver filenames, dates, sizes etc!! Odd, or what!!

Thanks,

Phil
Old 20 March 2007, 04:47 PM
Pedro_79
Scooby Regular

So the PC came new with XP installed, and you've put a second installation on D? If that's the case, then you obviously installed the sound drivers on the second installation yourself..

Have you already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the sound drivers? Maybe trying a different version?
Old 20 March 2007, 05:04 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Yes, been there and done that.... updated drivers from sites, checked video driver, updated the BIOS. You name it, I've done it, and done it properly! It's why my question is the one of principle - why might the 'manufacturer' have wished to send out a PC with a perfectly good card emulated, rather than installed. My PC support desk goes cagey when I ask them this difficult question!!!

Phil