Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

"Carputer" info needed?

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2007, 08:30 PM
Seamaster
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Carputer" info needed?

I need to get info about using my old Fujitsu "Lifebook" (Bit bigger than a paper back !) as a GPS system. It has 20 gb hard drive so plenty of room for maps etc. What I want to do is find out the best buy on bits that I have to buy. By having the larger screen I can see the info easier.
I know I will need a USB type GPS receiver. And maps. The computer runs XP pro (!!) And will run off the car battery through a 12 volt cigarette lighter adaptor.

I no it wont be touch screen. Will need the best map package for Europe to work from a Postcode search. Maybe a Tomtom map? And then seperate mapping system to show O.S style maps of the whole of UK >

No idea where to realy start!

cheers.
Old 15 February 2007, 12:13 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Why go to all that trouble when a simple tomtom system would fit the bill? I have a car pc in my loft, had it in my old classic, and with 23gig of music, internet access, radio and sat-nav, was actually quite good. Got me all around europe in 05 anyway
If it's just sat-nav you want, go the dedicated route, if you're going to upgrade to mp3, radio, internet et al, then you'll need to have a good read here:
MP3Car.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin a host of info on all the latest gadgets
Old 15 February 2007, 12:31 AM
Seamaster
BANNED

tom tom cannot work with OS maps. also the screen is a bit small. Wont want to use it for media etc.
Old 15 February 2007, 12:43 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Best PC map package without a doubt is Autoroute from Microsoft.

AutoRoute Products
Old 15 February 2007, 03:39 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Ok, so you don't need multimedia, but why do you want O.S. maps? If you're navigating in your car, why do you need to have the detail of an O.S. map to do it by? Unless perhaps you're going off road? Also, by running a laptop, even a small one, where are you going to put it? I'm guessing it wont go on the dashboard, which means that you'll be looking away from the road to use the maps, not a good idea!
Finally, you can get an emulator to run tom tom on a pc, but what's the point, as the screen would only be as big as a tom tom product anyway.
Old 15 February 2007, 09:18 PM
Seamaster
BANNED

Originally Posted by cw42
Ok, so you don't need multimedia, but why do you want O.S. maps? If you're navigating in your car, why do you need to have the detail of an O.S. map to do it by? Unless perhaps you're going off road? Also, by running a laptop, even a small one, where are you going to put it? I'm guessing it wont go on the dashboard, which means that you'll be looking away from the road to use the maps, not a good idea!
Finally, you can get an emulator to run tom tom on a pc, but what's the point, as the screen would only be as big as a tom tom product anyway.
ok !

1. its small.. very small.
2. yes on the dash board. I have a special fabricated Flat section that would fit his nicely and had 2 x extra power supplies(12v) under a flap.
3. I need th eo/s maps for off road use and for a few other reasons. I need one machine that can do both. Also I can plug in a camera and record if necessary.
4. When you say 'as big as th eTom tom" screen, do you mean programme wont allow the image to be larger and fill a 7inch screen?
Old 15 February 2007, 09:52 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

4. no, from my experience a few years ago, tom tom emulation was only as big as a typical pda screen on a pc.
Looks like microsoft would be your best route.
Old 16 February 2007, 06:21 PM
Seamaster
BANNED

Originally Posted by cw42
4. no, from my experience a few years ago, tom tom emulation was only as big as a typical pda screen on a pc.
Looks like microsoft would be your best route.

Cheers for that. My god , that madness !! Wonder if there is some "hack"

Must do a search. Or as mentioned use a different product.

Thanks for your help.