Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

VHS to DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2007, 11:00 AM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question VHS to DVD?

Can anyone tell me what I would need to transfer old VHS video to DVD by using my pc, I know I could probably send them away to be done but I fancy having a crack at it myself, also any recommendations for the software to be used.

Andy
Old 12 February 2007, 11:13 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I connect a VCR to my DVD recorder using scart, works perfectly and you cut out the PC aspect where problems can occur. You can then load the recorded DVD into your PC where you can further edit and compile if required.

The alternative is to use one of the many video capture devices available, but there are few that support RGB scart connection which will give the best picture quality from VHS.

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?sear...&go.x=0&go.y=0
Old 12 February 2007, 11:13 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

That depends on what hardware you have. Your PC won't be able to capture old analog VHS video without some sort of extra capture hardware.

There are three ways of doing this...

1) Internal capture card. Probably the best option as they usually have on-board mpeg processing hardware which speeds things up greatly, and can help with picture quality.

2) External converters. These are clever little boxes which convert the analog vhs signal to digital firewire, you can capture the video on the pc without installing any extra hardware insode the machine (assuming you have a firewire port on the machine).

3) Some video cameras / dvd recorders will take an analog input and output digitally via firewire, (or alternatively write to dvd and load that into the pc - it's fiddly, but it works)

As for cost, the devices can range anything from around £50 up to several thousand. It all depends on the features you want and the quality of picture.
Old 12 February 2007, 07:15 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
Personally I connect a VCR to my DVD recorder using scart, works perfectly and you cut out the PC aspect where problems can occur. You can then load the recorded DVD into your PC where you can further edit and compile if required.

The alternative is to use one of the many video capture devices available, but there are few that support RGB scart connection which will give the best picture quality from VHS.

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?sear...&go.x=0&go.y=0
Just starting doing this with a recent purchase of a Panasonic DMR-EX95V Video and DVD-Recorder. With the finished Disc from the recorder I used Nero Vision Express to Author the video and put on some nice Menus etc.... Then re-burnt the whole lot to a DVD-R disc.

Not cheap though, but great at archiving old Video Cassettes.
Old 12 February 2007, 07:26 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
I should comment that VCRs do not use RGB, it only uses the composite signal part of the scart cable, so all is need is a card that has suitable phono/composite imput. Unless its S-VHS in which case you'll need a card that also supports S-video.

But as mentioned, buying a standalone DVD recorder (or a combo VCR/DVD recorder) is the easiest way . Then re-author the disc on the PC afterwards.
Old 13 February 2007, 08:25 AM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, unfortunately my DVD writer is in my pc so the easiest option is out. Ive been looking at this bit of kit which I think may do the job

Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK
Old 13 February 2007, 10:10 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Don't know what the quality is like on that bit of kit (not great I'm guessing), but you can't argue with the price. Might be worth a punt...
Old 13 February 2007, 11:33 AM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Yes my thoughts exactly Iain, I have read some reviews for it and it seems ok, although a bit of fiddling with your pc setting's are reqd.

cheers
Andy
Old 13 February 2007, 12:46 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

If your graphics card supports VIVO (video in, video out) like most ATI cards these days it shouldn't be much of a problem. I managed it using just a VCR (connected the scart to the input on the graphics card) and Windows movie maker software
Old 13 February 2007, 01:43 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

ok my current card is a Geforce 4 TI4200 which does have VIVO, is windows movie maker part of the XP package?
Old 13 February 2007, 01:52 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Yes
Old 13 February 2007, 02:07 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

cheers Iain