Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Audio Visual & IT Question

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2001, 04:15 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm struggling with this one - I have an IBM T20 Laptop that can play DVD's. I can connect it to the TV set using a S-VHS cable but I don't get sound. Looking into it a bit deeper the standard S-VHS connectors have 4 pins, the laptop socket has 7 pins, the additional 3 are presumably for the audio output. No one even IBM seem to stock a cable or even a S-VHS plug with 7 pins - any ideas ?, I've tried the usual RS Components and Lektropacks but I'm struggling with this one. There aren't any other audio outputs on the laptop so I can't do it another way. The TV end isn't a problem as I've scart and the 'normal' S-VHS 4 pin plus separate audio inputs. Any ideas where I can get cable or even a plug.

Kevin.
Old 12 January 2001, 05:02 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Kevin

My Dell has a 7-Pin socket - I've just looked. I don't beleive its audio though. It came with a little mini-din to phono adaptor. I would guess tha additional pins are to provide the composite signal on the phono socket as any S-Video to Composite converter would have to be bigger than the little 2" mini-din/phono cable supplied.

The headphone socket on mine is listed as headphone/speakers. The output level works OK as a line-in on the stereo at home only being slightly quieter than expected. Try that ! (obviuosly no Dolby Digital or DTS output ...) I use a mini-jack to phone cable for that.

To use your scart, presumably you would need a minijack to 2x phono socket gadget at the laptop (assuming you have a headphone socket !)

Regards

Dean

[This message has been edited by dsmith (edited 12 January 2001).]
Old 12 January 2001, 05:11 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Cool

S-Video is just that - Super Video - no audio at all.

As just stated you have to obtain an audio Y lead that goes jack plug to twin phono for your audio.

This is a common mistake a lot of people make, they connect a cable to their video card, plug it into the TV and expect sound. (so the video card does sound now then does it....!!)

You have to connect to your sound card as well.

I use this sytem for watching DVD's on my telly and its a cracking set up. It even handles the Surround sound stuff as well.

Hope this helps....any electronics shop, eg Tandys or Maplins sell these cables.
Old 12 January 2001, 05:56 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go with the headphone socket as the audio input for the TV.

Kevin.