Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PDA Navigation Question

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2006, 10:42 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDA Navigation Question

I have already set the wheels in motion not to fall into the trap some blokes have of having a TomTom, mobile phone, condom holder, glass case holder, map reader holder, etc, all stuck on their windscreens. I sometimes wonder how these guys see where they are going with all that lot on board. I will be using a pda as a one stop/catch all solution for my needs.

My question is this: If I want to run a navigation system on the PDA (windows mobile, btw), I know I will need a GPS receiver (already in the bag); however I am not clear on how the rest of the system will work.

I know I can obtain/purchase maps (TomTom or other 3rd party) but will I also need a discreet software package to run the maps and, in effect, become the navigation system?

I am aware that TomTom, for example, do a boxed set that you just load up and run; however I was thinking about this much more from other 3rd parties where, for example, maps are available for purchase/freeware, and you build your own system up from there.

Grateful for input on this, especially from people who have been down this route. I'm not keen on "I think" responses as its an awful lot of money down the pan if you give me the wrong advice without the experience of having done this yourself and seen it work.

Thanks chaps/chapesses.

WB
Old 21 December 2006, 10:44 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can 'aquire' TomTom quite easily. By far the best way to do it.
Old 21 December 2006, 11:04 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Depending on your mobile phone, you can run TomTom on that, save buying a PDA, and then stuck with having a PDA and mobile phone on your windscreen etc etc

TomTom do a PDA version, why not 'try before you buy'

its readily availlable if you know where to look
Old 21 December 2006, 11:08 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

STI, Sonic,

Thanks for your responses. Try before you buy seems a good idea.

What I'm trying to find out is if I have a pda/phone and gps receiver, is all I need after that just the maps to get going or do I need something else?

If I need something else can I assume from what you are saying that the "something else" is included in the TomTom package?

Sonic, YHPM in a minute.

Cheers

WB
Old 21 December 2006, 12:37 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I've just been given a PDA for development work, so would be good to set that up as a Sat Nav too. Post more details as you get it sorted. That will help
Old 21 December 2006, 12:41 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

I've running Tomtom on various PDA phones for the last 4 years - just acquire TT navigator (ver 6 is the latest) and link it to GPS.
TT also has a traffic notification system (TT Traffic) -Its an extra £40 per year.

The drawback with TT is the abysmal customer service - it is truley awful.

Any of the navigation co.s maps can be bought separately, but they do need software to work out routes and display where you are. Their format will probably stop you from using them on anything other than the proprietry software.

nick
Old 21 December 2006, 12:51 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Gaz,

Will be sorting this out/setting it up sometime next week over the Xmas break so will keep you informed.

Butty,

Thanks for this. I guess the way forward is to try it and see. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

WB
Old 21 December 2006, 01:19 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

To run TT on a PDA or smartphone you need a BT GPS unit, A PDA mount/holder, In car charger as running it sucks the battery and a memory card of sufficent size for the maps and anything else you have on there.
Old 21 December 2006, 01:19 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

With Tom Tom you usually get the full Great Britain maps (and postcodes ) and I think you also get major roads of europe now with the latest release

Ive had all the American maps, and some of other european countries

in America it was great to use driving through 100 miles of Death Valley at night (yes I know only one road, but at least TomTom 'showed' me the windy twisty bits)

the only things you need are a PDA and GPS Reciever, whether that be cabled or bluetooth, doesnt really matter

and then TomTom Great Britain, which includes all the software and Map's you need for navigating around our land

Like other sat nav, it isnt flawless, but it does serve its purpose
Old 21 December 2006, 01:55 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

STI, Sonic,

Thanks lads. I'm on the case.