Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Noisy pc

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2006, 10:44 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noisy pc

My old Athlon rig has been demoted to Linux duties and I have taken over the kids pc as the main Windows one and treated it to a second monitor and me to a nice big comfy leather chair, so its lovely sitting here, two nice screens, comfy chair but the pc is soooooo f*cking noisy.

Any ideas as to some decent cooling, will put it on the floor (currently on the desk which may help but I think a new cooler may help, its ust on the stock Intel one, its a 2.8 P4 (dont know what core or whatever but will find out), dont want to go to water cooling as am going to replace the lot next year, just something to quieten it down a bit.

Graphics card is a Ti 4400 and that has fans on it as well.
Old 28 October 2006, 11:43 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

artic freezer pro 7 is very quiet and cheap too - you can also replace the fans on your graphics card for a quieter one
Old 29 October 2006, 02:32 PM
D16GER
Scooby Regular

1st thing you need to do is find out what is causing the worst noise. Is it the fans? Is it perhaps the hard disk?

What I suggest is you take off the side panel, then CAREFULLY slow each of the fans by pressing with your finger on the very centre of them. You should be able to slow them enough to hear the sound change. DON'T stop them spinning, just slow them down.

You may well find that it's either a very high speed graphics card fan, or even a noisy PSU. If it's the graphics card, an easy fix really. Go get an Arctic Cooling cooler for it - complete silence.

As for the PSU, unfortunately you will have to replace it if it's noisy. The quietest I have heard are Tagan units.

If it's the CPU cooler, then there are loads of quiet versions available. Look for something in the 20-25db region.

The hard disk may also be creating a lot of high pitched noise. If it is, then you can either put it in an enclosure (not recommended due to heat) or just buy a new one. I would recommend Samsung Spinpoint as they are silent.
Old 29 October 2006, 04:49 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Quiet PC UK - Quiet Computer Hardware for a Quiet PC has loads of products and ideas.