Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2000, 01:30 PM
Rikki23
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi guys and girls

I picked up my MY95 WRX on wednesday and I am very happy with it

I had a Rover 220 GSi before and put an induction kit on which made it quite noisy. My scooby sounds lovely at the moment (scooby sport exhaust) and i don't want to alter this too much but I want to add an induction kit or filter. People who have done this, has it made the car noisy or dramatically changed the sound?

Cheers Rikki
PS what kind of BHP gains do you get with an induction kit?
Old 09 October 2000, 01:36 PM
Leigh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Rikki,

I've got a Blitz induction kit on my '95 WRX.
It's not too noisy, you just get a louder induction roar on full throttle. It does make the standard dump valve louder though!

Can't say I noticed much in the way of a power increase, however!

Leigh.
Old 09 October 2000, 02:37 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Rikki,

I have had induction kits on other cars (not Scooby's) and they have all been too loud. For this reason I too haven't fitted one on my Turbo. I'd like to hear the dump valve a bit more but can do without all that induction roar. Can any of the panel filters do the job nearly as good as the induction kits and can you hear the dump valve any better?

Cheers
Lee
Old 09 October 2000, 02:46 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

The induction kits are a different matter, but I've never found the filters (ITG in my case) to be much noisier than the standard ones when new.

Josh
Old 09 October 2000, 05:35 PM
Col
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have a pipercross induction kit fitted to
my my94 turbo,it is quite noisy when i accelerate and makes a very loud whooshing noise when i change gear,similar to a dump valve.
What with that and my Blitz exhaust,pedestrians think they are in the middle of a WRC stage!!
Old 09 October 2000, 06:40 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Smile

Col,

The wooshing sound you hear is indeed the dump vavle. The Impreza is fitted with a recycle type dump valve which dumps the air pressure back to the air box. All the sound is usualy absobed by the standard air filter setup.

I'm wondering if an ITG or K&N panel filter lets through more of the dump valve sound?

Cheers
Lee
Old 09 October 2000, 07:06 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have an ITG filter and I can just about hear the dump valve with the windows down, but only just.
IMHO if you want a noisy dumpvalve you should be driving a maxxed renault 5 turbo slammed to the ground (Asbestos undergarments at the ready)
Old 09 October 2000, 07:11 PM
sourob
Scooby Regular

Wink

I had a k&n induction kit fitted to my96 scoob sounds LOVELY not too noisy (Just tasteful!!) Soula.Dia8
Old 09 October 2000, 07:19 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Wink

Doc,

To old for that scene mate . I like a sporty sound and have a keen intrest in rallying. Not had an induction kit, normal dumpvalve or straight through exhaust system fitted but I feel the standard air filter, dump valve, exhaust set up is a little too restrained.

No flamesuit required I don't get upset that easily

Cheers
Lee
Old 10 October 2000, 12:30 AM
Rikki23
Scooby Regular

I think I should wait till I go to a forthcoming scooby meet and listen to somebody's.

I want to know if the dump valve becomes more audible if changing to a new panel filter (as it does with an induction kit)

Anybody that has changed to a new panel filter, what kind of gain/noise difference have you experienced?
Old 10 October 2000, 08:46 AM
Rikki23
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the info guys but still not too much clearer.

I too would like to hear more of the dump valve. I am considering swopping to an atmospheric type dump valve but not sure if this would worsen performance (any ideas??)

I would like to know if an ordinary panel filter gives similar gains to the induction kit, and if you can hear the dump valve more when it is fitted???

Old 10 October 2000, 10:42 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Fitted a Scoobtsport b/box and Pipercross Induction Kit on My MY 99

Induction kit is noisy - nice noises though, i have stopoped listening to the CD player in favour of the induction noises (is that sad?).

The problem is that it is a company car and my MD and i went off to a meeting in my car the other day.

Tried to keep it off boost - the conversation went something like this
MD - Has your car alway made those noises?
PH - Yes, you can hear it more when the radio is turned down though. (at this point i turned ther radio up some what - could still hear it though!)
MD - Right? it sounds louder that i remember.
PH - I might have had the air filter changed for a 'more efficient' model at the last service. Paid for it myself.
MD - Right, and the benefit to the comany?
PH - You can hear me pull up in the car park and tell if i am late, oh, by the way i am getting about 2+ more MPG
MD - Really??? (sarcastic)
PH Yes - definately!
MD - fine

'Tis true - i do seem to be getting about an extra 30 miles per tank, a great(er) sounding car and it goes much better that it did - pulls the same in third as it does in second, does not run out of puff, pulls clean and hard all the way up-to the red line.

I like the noises it makes - it does seem to upset pensioners (pedestrians)- who tend to stop talking to each other and stare at the car as it goes past and cyclists who i always give a wide birth to.

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 10 October 2000).]

Old 10 October 2000, 11:57 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

If you want to try for *free*, remove the resonator for an idea of how it will sound (& a taste of the improved performance/mpg) with an induction kit.

A search on resonator will get you the instructions on how to do it.

I tried this as a prelude to an induction kit....and never fitted the induction kit!

Richard
Old 10 October 2000, 03:14 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I have e-mailed you re meeting up

There is a planned meeting near Leicester on the 22nd. See Midlands Events Section if you are interested

Paul

Old 10 October 2000, 05:25 PM
Rikki23
Scooby Regular

I think I will be going to the Cambridge meet that day.

A private meet would be cool. See email that I sent
cheers
Rikki
Old 10 October 2000, 06:09 PM
Badger
Scooby Regular

RIKKI,
I FITTED A K&N PANNEL FILTER TO MY MY99 (WITH FULL DECAT SYSTEM) & THE DUMP VALVE BECAME SLIGHTLY MORE AUDIABLE BUT I DIDNT NOTICE ANY DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE, AFTER ABOUT A WEEK I REMOVED THE RESONATOR BOX & THIS MADE THE DUMP VALVE QUITE A BIT MORE NOTICEABLE AND THE CAR APPEARED TO BE MORE RESPONSIVE, BUT THE INDUCTION ROAR ON LONG JOURNEYS BECAME TO INTRUSIVE (THE INNER WING SEEMS TO ACT AS A AMPLIFIER), SO I REFITTED THE REASONATOR BOX. ABOUT 2 WEEKS LATER I FITTED A BLITZ INDUCTION KIT, AGAIN THE CAR FELT MORE RESPONSIVE & PRODUCES A LOVELY INDUCTION NOISE UNDER ACCELERATION THE DUMP VALVE IS MORE NOTICEABLE BUT NOT AS LOUD AS THE NON-RECIRC TYPE, & INDUCTION NOISE WHEN CRUISING ON THE MOTORWAY IS BARLEY AUDIABLE.
IF YOU WANT A 4-WEEK-OLD K&N PANNEL FILTER MAIL ME WITH AN OFFER