Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Free and easy DVD ripping

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2006, 01:23 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free and easy DVD ripping

I want to rip my dvd's to my pc so that they can be played in full with all the menus etc and full 5.1 sound via media player / media centre.

Is this possible, what do I need to do it?
Old 22 October 2006, 01:27 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Do a google for "DVD Shrink".
Loads of info and help out there, certainly more than I can offer here!
Old 22 October 2006, 01:29 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

I've tried that after a search on here, but cannot get the resulting files to be played - am I missing something?
Old 22 October 2006, 02:25 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Depends on what you're trying to play them with.
You could try Daemon Tools to mount the results so your ystem see them as a DVD.
Old 22 October 2006, 05:09 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You just need a dvd ripper like DVDFab or DVDblaze, DVDshrink will rip to, but will not work with newer titles using DIR protection.
Old 23 October 2006, 12:09 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

You also need a a software DVD player like powerDVD or WinDVD. You maybe able to play them with Microsoft Windows Media Player. But you will need an MPEG-2 Codec.
Theere are other players. Do a search on VideoHelp.com
Old 23 October 2006, 07:57 AM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

I'm trying to play them via media center / media player.
Old 23 October 2006, 02:51 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Will Media Player play an image or play from an .ifo file.....? Youd be better off using PowerDVD; all recent versions will play the files correctly from your fixed disk from the .ifo file. To use all of the menus as intended then youll be best using an application like Daemon Tools, as already suggested, to mount the image (so that the computer sees a physical drive). With this done you should be able to navigate the menus as if you were using a physical disc. PowerDVD will still be a better bet though.

Simon
Old 23 October 2006, 03:34 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate, the thing is I want to be able to select my movies from something Media Center, I don;t want to be loading loads of bits of software to play them..
Old 23 October 2006, 08:35 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

You don't need to load lots of apps. The ripping tools mentioned create the correct DVD menu structure in a folder called video_ts. That's why its better to use a proper DVD player like PowerDVD as mentioned. Then you just point the DVD player software to each film's folder. So you need 2 applications. One to rip, one to view, simple.
Old 24 October 2006, 04:01 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

But that is just it.. I've already got stuff that plays video in the form of Media Player / Media Center.. why would I want more?

I want a nice graphic menu that displays the contents of my ripped dvd folder and will just play it when I click on the movie I want.. I don't want to be heading into explorer (or some other apps File | Open) to find the right file to be played. I want something simple with a remote that anyone can use with a degree in Windows OS's...
Old 24 October 2006, 07:58 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Mate you dont seem to understand. You cant do it with the apps you have, you HAVE to use some kind of ripping app to get the DVD onto your HDD for a start, and also to rip the correct DVD structure. Then you need something to actually play the files back correctly. WMP is not the tool for the job.
Old 24 October 2006, 08:16 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

shaggy - you can rip the dvd to a single file - you will not have all the menus - you can then put them into the my videos folder to play as you wish.

as said you cannot replicate a full dvd with media centre - you would need another application to "pretend" the files are a dvd.

but you said you could not get the files ripped with dvd shrink to play - did you get sound but no video ?
Old 25 October 2006, 09:13 AM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Mate you dont seem to understand. You cant do it with the apps you have, you HAVE to use some kind of ripping app to get the DVD onto your HDD for a start, and also to rip the correct DVD structure. Then you need something to actually play the files back correctly. WMP is not the tool for the job.
Mate you don't seem to understand. I know I need something to rip the DVD to the hard drive and happy with that.. its the play back I'm not happy with. Media Center does play the dvd from the disc directly but not from the hard drive - which I want it to do.

However, I have now found a plugin / hack and have ripped 2 dvd's to my hard drive and guess what, in media center they are playing... from the hard drive... with menus... and it should download all the metadata to add to the dvd just like media player does for cd's... this is exactly what I wanted..

The only problem is that to play 2 different dvd's you need to close and reopen media center in between, unless I can find a way round this too, but this is a small price to pay to have the system that I want working how I want.. no more getting up to change disks, no more lost disks / unable to find what you want without searching through loads of disks...