Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Xbox 360?

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2006, 05:24 PM
Sonic_Danny
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xbox 360?

Should i get one or wait for the PS3?
Old 29 August 2006, 05:29 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Get one there wicked
Old 29 August 2006, 05:46 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Wait until PS3 is released, then have a play with both, so you can do a side-by-side comparison. Have a look at the lineup of games, see if the type of games you like are catered for by the platform, and if some of those titles crossover.

For me online play is a pretty big deal and I've not seen what the PS3 will offer with regards to that. MS's Xbox Live is a pretty good system and if the PS3 had a similar setup then that's a big bonus as I think the current online experience for PS2 isn't that great, though I've not used it so cannot speak for sure, but I'm sure others can comment.
Old 29 August 2006, 05:51 PM
scooby_me
Scooby Regular

get one, get project gotham racer 3,have loads fun......SORTED... (and buy a PS3 when sony can pull there finger out of there ****!)

seriosly the 360 ROCKS!
Old 29 August 2006, 08:05 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Anyone think it's worth waiting for the cost reduced version of the 360 with different processor allegedly producing less heat?
Old 29 August 2006, 08:14 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

...and when Sony drops the price to a more competitive level instead of around £4-500!

Have heard things about the PS3 (Major Nelsons Xbox podcasts) that worry me a little, like you will be paying for the expensive blu-ray drive, and the blu-ray disks that will be stupidly easy to damage (data is written to the disk on the surface rather than behind a protective layer), I can see a lot of people buying games then taken them back as they fail to work after a few scratches... specially kids!!

360 is maturing nicely now and there are some next gen games rather than ports of xbox games. The PS3 will not have many games available for a while when the 360 will have a nice catalogue to choose from, and none of the ps3 games that I have seen impress me more than what I've seen on the 360.

By the time the PS3 appears (probably next year now no doubt... sod before Christmas!! ) the 360 will have a HD-DVD drive available and may have dropped in price just to hurt Sony a little more.

I think the PS3 could be the downfall of Sony to be honest and at the moment it isn't appealing to me at all, the price point puts me off mainly.

I don't have a 360 yet but I'll be getting one shortly now there is plenty of games available.

James
Old 29 August 2006, 08:16 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanslow
Anyone think it's worth waiting for the cost reduced version of the 360 with different processor allegedly producing less heat?
Any idea when this is supposed to be? Have heard they are making some changes to the controller also, some slight techincal things rather than aesthetic.
Old 29 August 2006, 09:38 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also as from October MS are re-releasing the 1st wave of 360 games as a platinum range of £19.99, first 2 titles being Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero, so in time for xmas and sony launch you should be able to pick up plently of new 360 games along with some cheapo titles.
Old 30 August 2006, 08:37 AM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
Also as from October MS are re-releasing the 1st wave of 360 games as a platinum range of £19.99, first 2 titles being Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero, so in time for xmas and sony launch you should be able to pick up plently of new 360 games along with some cheapo titles.

Thats great my nephew's been banging on at me to get Kameo for him when he comes round, don't mind that but wasn't going to pay £40 for a game i don't really want.
Old 30 August 2006, 08:44 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

http://gamesnews.virgin.net/Virgin/L...nology,00.html

Old 30 August 2006, 09:36 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

The initial pre-orders for PS3 are starting to show now, and at such a ridiculous price

http://www.freemans.com

£669 for a PS3 premium with 2 (probably average) games.

That sort of makes my mind up to get a 360 this Xmas, though I doubt they will drop the price, they dont need to with the PS3 price as above.
Old 30 August 2006, 10:08 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

LOL XBOX premium with a game for £450 on the same site......

Isn't Freemans a catalogue place (hence high prices but flexible payments for the poor people )?
Old 30 August 2006, 10:18 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Almighty **** up on sonys part me thinks, letting xbox have such a head start. Even the most hardcore sony fans are giving up and bying a xbox
Old 30 August 2006, 11:57 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Even I'm wavering Almost prepared to give up the Final Fantasy franchise

Will probs still wait until 2007 when the cost reduced version is out (manufacturing costs, not consumer purchase cost). Will probs be more games out then that suit me. Still won't have a hidef TV though, but then I've not been overly impressed with the display HiDef setups that I've seen. That goes for PS3, general DVD, et al. as well though, not knocking the 360.

Will more than likely get a Wii though when they come out if they hit the proposed price and if they *do* offer a full back catalogue of downloadable Nintendo games
Old 30 August 2006, 11:24 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

LOL XBOX premium with a game for £450 on the same site......

Isn't Freemans a catalogue place (hence high prices but flexible payments for the poor people )?
1st payment £5.00, 3,000 wks at £2.72 [The sum wouldn't be factually correct before anyone tries it ]

And Hanslow does that mean you'll be laying down your Sony Weapons and Arms..... A valiant fight but a fight you can not win

Also i guess you'll be selling your shares aswell
Old 31 August 2006, 12:58 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

How do matey

My Sony weapons and arms would be happily put away if it turns out to be a big steaming pile of poo I'd still have to wait for the cost reduced 360 though, and a decent catalogue of cheapo games cos I'm a skinflint

I'll sell all my virtual shares too

Been to the dark side this evening as I was playing Sudeki on the XBox I've played better, but played much worse too

I'd like to see the PS3 succeed, mainly to generate a healthy marketplace and competition, but we'll have to wait and see on that one when it's eventually released. I still wouldn't buy a first edition one though for the same reasons I wouldn't buy a 360 (and I wouldn't let my missus buy me one either when she offered ).

I'll miss the banter though if I get assimilated to the dark side It's no fun when we all agree
Old 31 August 2006, 09:05 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

How do matey
I'll miss the banter though if I get assimilated to the dark side It's no fun when we all agree
Buy both and banter with yourself ...
Old 31 August 2006, 10:17 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

May well end up getting both. It's happened before when I had no intention of upgrading from my PS1 and ended up with a PS2, GC and eventually an XBox.

Would make for some very dull conversations though
Old 31 August 2006, 10:28 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

PS3 Motorstorm footage.

http://www.break.com/movies/ps3_motorstorm.html

If the in-vehicle footage is actual in-game stuff then its looking good for the PS3.
Old 31 August 2006, 10:32 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

That's the pre-rendered footage that Sony showed a while ago. As with most of the ps3 games, as far as I'm aware they've not released any actual in-game footage as of yet...
Old 31 August 2006, 10:41 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
That's the pre-rendered footage that Sony showed a while ago. As with most of the ps3 games, as far as I'm aware they've not released any actual in-game footage as of yet...
There's some in-game video of Resistence on gamespot which looks ok. They reckon the games gonna be over 22gig and needs bluray discs, sounds like it will have a lot of fmv or just uncompressed gfx to speed up the framerate because they havent figured out how to program the cell processor effeciently

http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/action/in...ter/media.html
Old 31 August 2006, 11:08 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

That's quite nice. It doesn't look any better than the 360 in-game footage from COD3 though. I suspect that in the power stakes, the machines will be pretty evenly matched.

These blu-ray discs are not a good idea imo. There's already too much fmv in games, (at the expense of gameplay - I always skip the video when I can), and if it's full of game data, the loading times will be horrible...
Old 31 August 2006, 12:20 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Yep I may consider a 360 they are keenly priced, but I wouldnt bet against Sony they are huge corporation who *still* have the majority of the market share and it will take some time for M$ to catch up.
Old 31 August 2006, 08:32 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK
Yep I may consider a 360 they are keenly priced, but I wouldnt bet against Sony they are huge corporation who *still* have the majority of the market share and it will take some time for M$ to catch up.
But this is changing fast, a lot of people are heading for the 360 now as they can't be bothered to wait for the PS3!

I think after they have both been out a couple of years it will be pretty even in popularity.
Old 01 September 2006, 04:22 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

There's ingame footage of Resistance : Fall Of Man available which looks pretty good (doesnt look too far away from the Killzone vid) - although the stills I've seen from the game look terrible.

There's so many games coming for the 360 at PS3's launch that I'll probably hold off until the new year - CoD3, Forza2 and the eye melting Gears Of War all out in November.

I'll get a PS3 as soon as MGS4 or GT5 are given a release date in case the console sells out again like it did with GT4.

I expect MS will be knocking the annual Live subscription on the head soon - Nintendo & Sony are both making their online gaming free so MS are going to have to do likewise.

As for major Nelson slating PS3 - what else do you expect from a MS employee? I've read an article with interviews from developers who hve the PS3 dev kit - they said it's much easier to work with and code for then they were expecting and lot of the expected release dates have been slashed as a result - they said that the tools and documentation supplied by Sony has been first rate. They also say the tilt feature works much better than expected - but I'd still rather have something in my hand that vibrates (pardon the expression!)
Old 02 September 2006, 12:15 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

They are charging for xbox live and receiving these figures :-
  • The Xbox Live Marketplace just passed 50 million downloads. That is double the 25 million mark from just three months ago.
  • In the first week of Madden '07 releasing, Xbox Live members unlocked over 600,000 achivements and hosted more than 2-million hours of Madden gameplay.
  • 'Texas Hold 'em' set a one day record as the fastest download item ever on the Marketplace. There were over 100 downloads a minute in the first 24-hours of release.
Other Xbox Live statistics:
  • More than 50 million downloads of gaming and entertainment content from Xbox Live Marketplace to date
  • Over 2 billion hours spent on Xbox Live by gamers across the globe since the launch of the Xbox Live online gaming network in November 2002
  • More than 60 percent of Xbox 360 owners are connected to Xbox Live
  • 1,300,000 text and voice messages are sent via Xbox Live every day. Currently totaling half a billion sent messages between the Xbox Live community per year, this figure is set to explode with the launch of the Xbox Live Vision camera on September 19, 2006 in the U.S.
  • 65 per cent of all connected consoles already downloading and playing Xbox Live Arcade titles
  • Over 8 million downloads of Xbox Live Arcade games following the launch of Xbox 360
  • Over 2 billion Microsoft Points sold to date
Do they need to offer it for free? do you think sony and nintendo are in a position to offer that much bandwidth and content within the first 12months, remember they are new to online gaming MS arent.

Also is a £500 ps3 with free broadband content cheaper than a 360 @ £280 + £30 subscription to live, Some people are gullible when they hear the words FREE