Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

faxing (and copying)

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2006, 10:19 AM
super slider
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default faxing (and copying)

Hi
I believe it is possible to use a computer to fax messages. If so, how does this compare to using a normal telephone fax machine. How can you send copies by fax using computer, i guess by using a scanner, and how easy is it to copy using the scanner and fax (the main use) using the computer, or would you advise getting a telephone fax machine (but i still need a copier!). I want a copier and fax machine in addition to my printer. Where is a good place to buy?
thanks
Michael
Old 09 August 2006, 10:56 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

You can buy in-all-one printers that have a fax machine built in.

Alternatively Windows comes with a fax program that you can use to send and receive faxes. You need a modem in your computer. You will also need a way of getting external documents to your computer: A Scanner of some description.

I personally have an all-in-one printer without a fax that I use to scan documents and then send with the as above.

Steve
Old 09 August 2006, 11:32 AM
super slider
Scooby Regular

Hi. thanks for the reply
for the all in one printers with built in fax machine does it need to be connected to a phone line or will my (wireless) broadband be okay (i have got an phone socket in the room it is to be used in)
for the windows fax program you mention a modem. i am connected by wireless broadband. is this okay?
are the all in one with fax much more expensive than the ones without? (i have not yet seen these with fax built in, any good recommendations0
thanks again
Old 09 August 2006, 03:13 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

for the all in one printers with built in fax machine does it need to be connected to a phone line

- Phone line. I've got a HP LJ 3050 - good AIO unit

for the windows fax program you mention a modem. i am connected by wireless broadband. is this okay?

- i am connected by wireless broadband. is this okay? - for www faxing yes, for phone faxing no.

- some companies offer a service where you send the fax to them via www, and they fax it to the recipient for you. (Not free). Otherwise, you'll nee dto use phone line.

are the all in one with fax much more expensive than the ones without?

- my HP was about £600 +/-
Old 09 August 2006, 03:53 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

You can get an all-in-one for £100 (perhaps not a very good one!). Have a look here: www.ebuyer.com/printers.

As above you need a phone line unless you use a paid for service, fax is old technology and has nothing to do with broadband.

Steve