Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Pagemaker to Word

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2006, 10:17 AM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Location: Holder of six fairy tokens, from the land of green ginger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pagemaker to Word

Hi,

Am trying to transfer some files from Pagemaker to Word.

Have set up page format ok in Word and can, by copying and pasting, move text perfectly to Word. However, it won't move either drawings or shadow boxes.

Anyone any ideas please?

TIA

CC
Old 19 July 2006, 10:44 AM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

What happens if you export/save the Pagemeaker file as rtf then open in Word?

Mark

Last edited by markr1963; 19 July 2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 19 July 2006, 11:50 AM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markr1963
What happens if you export/save the Pagemeaker file as rtf then open in Word?

Mark
Hi Mark,

Only options I can see are as template or as publication. No RTF choice. Or under exporting as PDF or HTML.

CC
Old 19 July 2006, 12:52 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Pagemaker *shudder*. Was forced to use this by previous boss as he reckoned it was far better than QuarkXPRESS, hmm, why then did I and all of the other typesetters I knew use QX rather than PM then?

How are you selecting the graphical elements? are you highlighting them in the same way you would do with text (using the text tool) or are you using the pointer tool to highlight them (should show the bounding box with the size rezise points on it)?

Is the file an embedded file or does it have a link to the graphical elements somewhere?

When you mention shadow boxes, what exactly do you mean? If they are an element that's been created in Pagemaker then I doubt you'd be able to copy it into another application.

Do you have Adobe InDesign? If so you could try importing the file into ID and then exporting it. If you don't have ID then you could chuck the file over to me and I can see if I can import it and if so, export it as something else.
Old 19 July 2006, 02:42 PM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Pagemaker *shudder*. Was forced to use this by previous boss as he reckoned it was far better than QuarkXPRESS, hmm, why then did I and all of the other typesetters I knew use QX rather than PM then?

How are you selecting the graphical elements? are you highlighting them in the same way you would do with text (using the text tool) or are you using the pointer tool to highlight them (should show the bounding box with the size rezise points on it)?

Is the file an embedded file or does it have a link to the graphical elements somewhere?

When you mention shadow boxes, what exactly do you mean? If they are an element that's been created in Pagemaker then I doubt you'd be able to copy it into another application.

Do you have Adobe InDesign? If so you could try importing the file into ID and then exporting it. If you don't have ID then you could chuck the file over to me and I can see if I can import it and if so, export it as something else.
Hi Markus,

The file is a technical document supplied by a Japanese manufacturer so we've no control over it really!

I've used Quark and Pagemaker in print industry but it was some years ago!

Tried unlocking, ungrouping, pointer tool, text tool, etc. etc. The tinted box is obviously part of the page template and is also locked.

Since lunch I've asked our engineer to contact both the factory and European distributor to ask if there is another format for us to use. We want to issue on CD and obviously our own network won't have pagemaker. If this isn't possible then I'll create an old fashioned master for copying and distribute accordingly.

Thanks for your answer, especially for your kind offer to help!

CC