Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

going wireless - PLAIN ENGLISH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2006, 07:52 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going wireless - PLAIN ENGLISH!!!

Well I've searched this topic already but cant find anything plain english enough for me

Basically I have broadband and I have a lap top which apparently is wireless compatible or whatever the phrase might be.

Question is, what do I need to buy to go wireless, where's best and is it straightforward to set up?

Any feedback appreciated - imagine you're talking to a 5 year old.... on second thoughts they get all this stuff dont they
Old 28 June 2006, 07:58 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need:

1) A wireless modem/router

2) Wireless network card for each PC (it sounds like the lappy is OK, but any desktops are unlikely to have a a built-in wireless NIC). If it's just the lappy, then proceed directly to 2) below.

Setting up is easyish if you've read up on it. Best advice is set up all the connections from one computer while it is connected by ethernet. Once that computer can talk correctly to the router etc, THEN go wireless (the router will always have ethernet ports as well as wireless capability). You need the two wired together while you sort out IP addresses, subnet masks, ADSL settings, firewall, etc. Once all that is done then it's time to sort out SSID names, WPA passwords etc for the wireless bit.

M
Old 28 June 2006, 08:43 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

If you are not already connected...We need to know if you have Broadband or ADSL? Is your telephone line BT or are you o NTL/Telewest, you need to buy the correct type of modem/router.

Quite often all you do is plug the mode/router in and it could work. Best is to start off with a wired connection so you at least know the BB is working. Then you can worry about the wireless part.
Old 28 June 2006, 09:18 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Will also help to know if your modem connects to your PC via USB or Ethernet RJ45, or whether it at least has an Ethernet port on it.
Old 28 June 2006, 09:23 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

http://en.fon.com/

How does 5 euros for a nice linksys wireless adsl router sound?
Old 28 June 2006, 09:38 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
You need:

1) A wireless modem/router

2) Wireless network card for each PC (it sounds like the lappy is OK, but any desktops are unlikely to have a a built-in wireless NIC). If it's just the lappy, then proceed directly to 2) below.

Setting up is easyish if you've read up on it. Best advice is set up all the connections from one computer while it is connected by ethernet. Once that computer can talk correctly to the router etc, THEN go wireless (the router will always have ethernet ports as well as wireless capability). You need the two wired together while you sort out IP addresses, subnet masks, ADSL settings, firewall, etc. Once all that is done then it's time to sort out SSID names, WPA passwords etc for the wireless bit.
M
Did I type 'plain english' in invisible ink or is someone taking the p1ss?
Old 28 June 2006, 09:50 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

thank you all to those replies...

Yes broadband is up and running. I havent the faintest what an ethernet port is but putting your replies together Im assuming its the non USB non wireless plug thing that runs from the modem to the laptop, in which case yes I have one...

Im fairly certain the modem doesnt support wireless as I asked Telewest at the time and they said I'd have to go to pc world...

So, I need a router thing - I am not the type of person who is going to demand the best performance or even know how to measure the best performance (!) so can anyone just name a make/model that in their experience will do the job? Im with Telewest, I have no idea what the difference is between broadband and ADSL!

RE keeping one pc wired.... I only have one laptop, so is it ok to have the laptop set up for wired and wireless?

Cheers in advance for any further tips. I have never felt so inept but hopefully its a great source of entertainment for everyone else
Old 28 June 2006, 09:53 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

You're gonna need to give us a clue!

Does your broadband come in to your house via your TV connection or through your phone line?

They both need a completely different kind of wireless router. One connects to your Phone line (with a phone type connection), and the other connects to your Cable Modem (with an Ethernet connection)

Before you tell us which, I can tell you that you are probably NOT loking for a Wireless Access Point (WAP), and probably ARE looking for a "Wireless router"
Old 28 June 2006, 09:57 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

I think Telewest use Cable Modems

Look at the Linksys WRT54G from Amazon. This should be the kind of router you are looking for.
Old 28 June 2006, 09:59 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

"I have no idea what the difference is between broadband and ADSL!"

If you do not have a BT telephone line then you need a Wireless Broadband Router - I use a Lynksys WRT54G and its fine, one cable plugs into the 'ethernet' (squarish with 8 pins) socket of the box that telewest supplied the other goes in the back of the Linksys box. Your wired or wireless machines then get out on the internet through the new Wireless Broadband router.

You plug the cable (not usb) coming from your laptop into one of the other emtpy sockets in the new router, it shold all magically work...
Old 28 June 2006, 10:12 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Ummmm lol

Ok yes I have a BT line but dont use it since I got my broadband. I know this sounds painfully thick but all I know is that Telewest put two little white boxes on my wall - one for the phone line and one that splits off for digital tv and the modem...

I think RichB and Shytot are there with the advice, probably wont get a chance to buy a router til the weekend so dont hold your breath for a report back!

Cheers again guys
Old 29 June 2006, 12:11 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have cable rather than ADSL then. In which case you need a cable modem/router. If the lappy is your only computer, then that's it - the rest is just setting up. The modem/router does several jobs, but essentially it converts the signal in your cable phone line to a form that a computer can understand, then sends it to a computer - either by wire or radio signal (i.e. wireless).

This the sort of thing, although generally Belkin make rather poor kit.

M
Old 29 June 2006, 10:03 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

If you have a cable modem already with an ethernet port for a cable like the one on the left in this pic

then all you should need is a wireless router to add to your setup. You don't need one with a built in modem, but it will cut down on the number of electrical things plugged in if you get a combined modem/router. You would plug your modem into your router then, rather than your PC, and then connect to your router either via wireless or using a cable to one of the ethernet ports on the back of the router.
Old 30 June 2006, 06:30 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

You sound like me, lol. No idea when it comes to computers. I went for LinkSYS gear, good job cos i needed their free tech line (which is free 24/7).

Thats the only advice i can give you. Sorry.