Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

mac-pc file transfer

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2006, 10:40 AM
doug2507
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mac-pc file transfer

Hi,

I've been using my old mans spare g4 powerbook for a while till i sorted myself out with a new pc laptop. All my mp3's are on the mac and i need to transfer them onto my pc. Is it possible to connect the two together (physical/wireless) to transfer the file's or would i be better putting them on an external HD and doing it that way??

Any thoughts/recommendations welcome.

p.s. If anyone is looking to get a high end laptop i cant recommend the rock xtreme 64 enough. Laptop's are just not meant to be this capable!

Last edited by doug2507; 14 May 2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 14 May 2006, 11:12 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Personally, I'd rather the G4!

if you go to the apple menu->system prefs->sharing
You can enable windows sharing.
Read the text underneath, it explains how to connect using the PC.

If your PC is sharing and on the same network, trying clicking the 'network' icon in a finder window and if your PC is there, you should be able to connect like you would using another PC.
Old 14 May 2006, 11:37 AM
doug2507
Scooby Regular

Cheers Rich, i'll give it a try.

Although the mac is a better machine imho, they cant beat a pc for gaming. Even if it is a laptop! (fx60-(2x2.6), 7800gtx, 2gig ram, 2x100gig SATA in Raid=0). Mental for a laptop..!! And bloody heavy!
Old 14 May 2006, 12:06 PM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

not exactly a laptop then is it
Old 14 May 2006, 05:08 PM
doug2507
Scooby Regular

more of a leg toaster if you're brave enough...
Old 19 May 2006, 05:10 PM
doug2507
Scooby Regular

Right, i've been told i could connect using a usb data transfer cable. It would appear that this would only be for mac-mac. I've connected my pc to the mac with an ethernet cable but still cant get the 2 to connect to each other. Could someone give me a step by step walk through of what i should be doing??
Old 19 May 2006, 05:46 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Firstly, is that a standard ethernet cable or a crossover gable. The Mac's port, I *think* will auto-sense if it's not a crossover and it's connected directly to a machine and switch the link to crossover, but I'm not sure the PC does the same.

As said by Rich, on the Mac, go into System Preferences, then into Sharing (I'm assuming you're running Mac OS X on the G4 Powerbook) and enable the "windows sharing" option, it will tell you what you need to type into Windows Explorer on the PC to get it to connect to the Mac.

You will also need to click the accounts option to enable the account to use windows sharing.

Then pop over to the PC, fire up Windows Explorer, then type in what the Mac told you to type and you should be asked for a name and password to connect to the Mac. Enter the name and password for the account you are logged into the Mac with.

Note that only the home folder is shared, so you'd need to move the files you want to copy over to the PC into the home folder otherwise you won't be able to access them from the PC.
Old 19 May 2006, 08:55 PM
doug2507
Scooby Regular

Wow, how easy is that?!! I was going about it all the wrong way trying to set up internet//network connections. No cables needed at all, just had both laptop's connected wireless to the same network. (router). Would this be the same for remote access? i.e. if i wanted to get files from a friends computer but he's on a different network? I pressume this is what you call ptp sharing?

How would he/me find out what his/my ip address is?

Thanks a lot by the way. Well chuffed i know how to do it now.
Old 19 May 2006, 09:18 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by doug2507
Wow, how easy is that?!! I was going about it all the wrong way trying to set up internet//network connections. No cables needed at all, just had both laptop's connected wireless to the same network. (router). Would this be the same for remote access? i.e. if i wanted to get files from a friends computer but he's on a different network? I pressume this is what you call ptp sharing?

How would he/me find out what his/my ip address is?

Thanks a lot by the way. Well chuffed i know how to do it now.
In theory remote access would be the same. You would need to know your friend's IP address, he'd have to have file sharing enabled, if he has a firewall it would need to be configured to allow you access. Really does depend on the setup. I've got Mac's here in Canada and frequently connect to both PC's and Macs back in the UK with no problems at all.
Old 19 May 2006, 09:41 PM
doug2507
Scooby Regular

found out ip address no bother. take it its just a case of putting it in the taskbar and hitting go. And needing the username and password..

As you know from the start of the thread i'm on a new computer. My pc knowledge is limited but enough to get by. Without sounding stupid, can i schedule defragging my HD or does that need to be user activated? I know you can do disk cleanup but its not the same. I'd like it done when i'm sleeping since it takes a while to defrag 200gig.

Do scheduled tasks that awaken the computer to run put it back to sleep once completed?

Last edited by doug2507; 19 May 2006 at 09:45 PM.